We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel cancelled

Stockton Heath...
Level Contributor
252 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Travel cancelled

Non essential travel to Nairobi - from where we would travel to Tanzania/Zanzibar- has been cancelled for the time being as of today. Couple of questions really:

is there another option to getting to Tanzania other than through Nairobi and have they been affected in any way in Tanzania by the trouble?

We have to travel in Feb and are just about to get our visas so are also looking at other possibilities. Has anyone any ideas for a really good safari (has to include poss sightings of hippos and giraffes) followed by about a week being pampered at a beach resort?

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel cancelled

Fly into Kilimanjaro (JRO) Tanzania; if concluding on Zanzibar you can fly out of Dar-es-Salaam (DAR).

Or, if you fly into Nairobi, you don't have to leave the airport to connect to a flight to JRO.

Flights are operating, both international and domestic Kenya. Tourists aren't being affected. Safaris are going on as scheduled. Game parks/reserves aren't impacted.

If you plan to travel in February, I'm sure this unfortunate situation in Kenya will be over; probably will be in a few days.

Mentioned in this post
Kilimanjaro National Park
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Dar Es Salaam Intl Airport
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Stockton Heath...
Level Contributor
252 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel cancelled

4sandi...thanks, thats very helpful. This isn´t a part of the world I´ve travelled to before so its all very new to me and I´ve felt quite nervous about it.

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel cancelled

Lovesusa... Sorry about the cancellation. Since I don't know where you're originating your flights from some of my answer may be misleading. But you have several options. In fact most people arriving from Europe or the USA arrive at Kilimanjaro (JRO) or Dar es Salaam (DAR) airports, not Nairobi; although there are some who do fly into Nairobi. NW / KLM flies from the USA with connections in Amsterdam, which then flies into Kilimanjaro (Arusha) and Dar es Salaam every day of the week. British Air also flies from London into Dar es Salaam about 3 times a week, with connections from the USA, albeit typically not good connections. Emirates flies into Dar es Salaam, but I'm not familiar with their schedule and they have connections with Delta (I believe) from the USA. I also have received an e-mail notice that Delta will begin service into Tanzania from the USA in the Spring of 2008.

From Dar es Salaaam you can get up to Arusha (which is the kicking off point for Tz safaris) either by in-country flights or by bus (albeit an all day affair by bus). There are several flights each day from Dar to Arusha.

So, you don't need to cancel your travel to Tz because there's problems in Kenya, just avoid Kenya.

No one can accurately predict the length of time that political difficulties in Africa will take to solve, most go on for a long time sometimes simmering just under the surface. From my experience in many African countries, I would predict that the trouble in Kenya will not be short-lived. It's been brewing for a long time and the root causes affect and impact much of their population. If your safari is in Tanzania then travel directly to Tanzania and avoid other areas. There is no political difficulty in Tanzania at the current time, which is not unusual.

Mentioned in this post
Usa River
Usa River
Arusha, Tanzania
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel cancelled

I don't believe that Delta is starting any service to Tanzania in 2008. To my knowledge they've only announced new service into Cairo, Lagos, Dakar, Nairobi and Cape Town (they have existing service to Johannesburg) in 2008.

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,355 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel cancelled

lovesusa.

I routed via Nairobi on Saturday 5th January on my way hame from Zambia. No signs of any abnormality in the 6-8 hours or so I was there.

If you have your plane tickets via NBO already, use them. If not get tickets via KLM direct to JRO. but you are leaving it late for next month.

As to sightings of Hippo and Giraffe. They occur in most parks with the possible exception of Giraffe in Ngorongoro.

Mentioned in this post
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Conservation...
Arusha Region, Tanzania
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel cancelled

mfuwe -

I've seen giraffe on the slopes of the crater, even photos of them, though not on the crater floor.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,355 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel cancelled

Hi sandi,

Yes I think you have said so before but they are very uncommon which is why I suggested not reliable.

Plenty elsewhere, Arusha, Tarangire, Manyara and Serengeti so will be seen by lovesusa somewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Bath
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel cancelled

We have booked to go to Tanz (incl. Zanzibar) for two weeks at the end of March and I stipulated that I didn't want to go through Nairobi. Consequently, we are flying BA from Heathrow to Dar(direct) and are using internal flights to get to Arusha and back to Zanzibar. KLM also has a flight to Kilimanjaro (changing at Amsterdam) -so no Nairobi. There may be other carriers providing a similar service.

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,355 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel cancelled

janrhian,

Several of the Middle Eaast cariers, Emirates, Gulf etc., fly into Dar and Zanzibar from Europe via their respective hubs. (Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc.,) It adds about five hours, plus layover but prices are competitive.

Mentioned in this post
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
10. Re: Travel cancelled

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 05:50