We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overland Companies: Intrepid vs Acacia vs Dragoman

California
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Overland Companies: Intrepid vs Acacia vs Dragoman

I've come full circle in my trip planning. I have now settled on doing an overland trip rather than travel independently.

Intrepid, Acacia, and Dragoman seem to get the most positive reviews. Can anyone recommend one over the other or one in particular?

Dragoman has the itinerary that I would most prefer.

I am 39 and don't want to be stuck on a party bus, but I am also very active.

Thanks!

1. Re: Overland Companies: Intrepid vs Acacia vs Dragoman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2012, 02:13
California
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Overland Companies: Intrepid vs Acacia vs Dragoman

I'm actually very close to booking a trip with Intrepid. Dragoman had some interesting trips, but it just didn't work out for me.

Canada/UK
Level Contributor
73 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Overland Companies: Intrepid vs Acacia vs Dragoman

I've travelled with a variety of Western-based companies, but not the three you name.

However, what I have found is the itinerary and the tour guide are the most important factors for a great trip. Go with the company which has the best itinerary for you and then give them a call. Ask who will be leading your group and how much experience they have (in general and in the countries you visit). If you're happy with what you hear, go with them.

Good luck!

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Overland Companies: Intrepid vs Acacia vs Dragoman

Hi, I was just wondering how you found your tour? And also what company you ended up going with. I am looking at going on a tour (around 60 days or so) at the end of 2008 and have been looking at different tour operators. Thankyou

cornwall
5 posts
5. Re: Overland Companies: Intrepid vs Acacia vs Dragoman

i went on an overland tour with dragoman back in october 2005 from nairobi to kenya. all i can say is that it was excellent!

i went on one of there encounter adventures as these were cheaper, but also spent more time out there. On these trips you have to completely muck in, cooking, washing, shopping the full lot as there is only one leader/driver/guide. However she was amazing and really made the trip work.

Personally getting stuck in like this is all part of the adventure, but they do have more expensive, which i think come with a cook and your based in a few more hotels (although not completely).

The ge range on my trip was from 21 to 50, however everyone was of the same attitude to see the real africa. Don't get me wrong we had a great time, went to some great bars in some amazing locations, but that was 5% of our trip. Most days we were up by 6 and asleep by 10:30!

Can't recommend them enough (very supportive when i had to leave half way through because of appendicitis, they sorted everything with the insurance company. basically they were great!)

companies who we encountered on route were many. Some seemed ok, others awful!

acacia reliable - big buses though!

kumuka - same i would say, maybe slightly younger crowd

africa-in-focus - photo lovers/culture vultures. good prices although not for those who don;'t want to get stuck in.

bukima - party bus, don't see the point in a place like africa

exodus - bit more luxurious, pay a lot extra - not sure its worth it unless you need that little bit extra. very reliable

not sure about intrepid

dragoman - excellent. budget to quite expensive. get off the beaten track. great team in uk. thouroghly recommend.

One thing i will say is that alot of companies tend to rush through locations, many just passed us by. For example most stayed two nights at etosha national park, we stayed four. Only ment to stay three, but changed iternary.

cornwall
5 posts
6. Re: Overland Companies: Intrepid vs Acacia vs Dragoman

i went on an overland tour with dragoman back in october 2005 from nairobi to kenya. all i can say is that it was excellent!

i went on one of there encounter adventures as these were cheaper, but also spent more time out there. On these trips you have to completely muck in, cooking, washing, shopping the full lot as there is only one leader/driver/guide. However she was amazing and really made the trip work.

Personally getting stuck in like this is all part of the adventure, but they do have more expensive, which i think come with a cook and your based in a few more hotels (although not completely).

The ge range on my trip was from 21 to 50, however everyone was of the same attitude to see the real africa. Don't get me wrong we had a great time, went to some great bars in some amazing locations, but that was 5% of our trip. Most days we were up by 6 and asleep by 10:30!

Can't recommend them enough (very supportive when i had to leave half way through because of appendicitis, they sorted everything with the insurance company. basically they were great!)

companies who we encountered on route were many. Some seemed ok, others awful!

acacia reliable - big buses though!

kumuka - same i would say, maybe slightly younger crowd

africa-in-focus - photo lovers/culture vultures. good prices although not for those who don;'t want to get stuck in.

bukima - party bus, don't see the point in a place like africa

exodus - bit more luxurious, pay a lot extra - not sure its worth it unless you need that little bit extra. very reliable

not sure about intrepid

dragoman - excellent. budget to quite expensive. get off the beaten track. great team in uk. thouroghly recommend.

One thing i will say is that alot of companies tend to rush through locations, many just passed us by. For example most stayed two nights at etosha national park, we stayed four. Only ment to stay three, but changed iternary.

Bradford
1 post
1 review
7. Re: Overland Companies: Intrepid vs Acacia vs Dragoman

Hi,

My wife and I recently came back from an overland trip from Nairobi to Cape Town.

We went with African Trails - no cook, Brit tour leader/driver, good truck but mainly youngsters 'on a budget'.

My advice:

1. Research thoroughly before you go;

2. Pay a bit extra for a decent truck with cook, etc;

3. Make sure you have enough money for the optional activities, they're the icing on the cake.

For more see my blog:

http://kmuchiti.blog.co.uk/

Cheers and have a good one.

8. Re: Overland Companies: Intrepid vs Acacia vs Dragoman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 16:51