We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which currency?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
56 reviews
Which currency?

Hello... I'm travelling from the UK to Kilimanjaro, Serengeti, Arusha and Zanzibar in August. Most of my trip is all paid for however I don't want to go with no currency. My bank is advising I take USD and exchange these there rather than take Tanzanian Schillings - can anyone advise on this for me? I'd rather have the convenience of not having to bother with exchanging if I can avoid it but the schillings also look hard to come by here in the UK. I know I will need USD for the visa in arrival BTW. Is it best to follow my bank's advice?

Many thanks

8 replies to this topic
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,063 posts
452 reviews
1. Re: Which currency?

It is illegal to import or export TZ shillings hence nigh on impossible to buy them in UK.

I usually buy them when in country but you never need many and have to be careful not to have any left as you cannot take them home. Very handy for small tips and purchases so it all depends on what is already paid for on your trip as to how many you will need.

You may find US$ more readily acceptable but do be aware that you will be paying twice. Once from £-$ and again from $ to TZsh.

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
435 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Which currency?

Depends on number of days you are staying. I recommend 50$ per day so multiply for the number of days and then convert by bringing the USD/GBP and changes into Tanzanian Shillings.

You can also come with your Visa/Master Card and use them.

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Which currency?

USD very important

Cheers

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,063 posts
452 reviews
4. Re: Which currency?

By all means take enough US$ or ££ to allow $50 per day but if you are on a private safari with pre-paid lodges etc., I don't think you will spend anywhere near that amount unless you drink a lot of alcohol or buy lots of presents and souvenirs.

Large notes $50s and not dated prior to say 2010.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Which currency?

Thank you everyone...thought that might be the case so thank you all for confirming.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Which currency?

Visa is 50$ payment in cash and lodges and some camps accept visa card or master card payment system also is good to carry some Tanzania shillings cash.you can changer around 200$ extra

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: Which currency?

Thanks everyone.

I'm was okay with amount to take as I know the extras I will need to pay for and most of the hotels and lodges I have booked will take cards anyway. I just wanted to know whether to take USD or shillings and now I know - so thank you all once again.

Much appreciated.

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
435 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: Which currency?

Cheers Have The Best Time...

Reply to: Which currency?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted