We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marangu Day Hike

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Marangu Day Hike

We will be in Tanzania in September for the main purpose of going on our first safari. We have found ourselves with an extra day in Arusha prior to our flight home, and are interested in doing the Marangu Day Hike to the Mandara Huts and onto Maundi Crater.

I have emailed several tour operators that seem to offer this day trip, and was surprised to received quotes that varied from 150 USD per person to 400 USD per person. It seems like a huge variance considering the tours must essentially be the same. The only differences I can think of are vehicle quality and guide quality. But for a day hike would this really matter? My question is what causes this huge price variance, and is it worth it to pay on the higher end? 400 USD per person for a day hike really does seem extremely high to me.

One TO, Eastland Adventures, offered what seems to be a "happy medium" in terms of price. Can anyone provide any personal experiences with this company?

Thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
4 replies to this topic
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marangu Day Hike

400$ is fair because 140$ plus 18% VAT go park fees and other pay local guide or pay ranger at gate plus transport in and out

Moshi, Tanzania
Level Contributor
510 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marangu Day Hike

A reason for price discrepancy is where does the tour start from, Arusha town or Moshi town? Arusha is further away from Marangu gate, 3 hours, while Moshi is only an hour away.

A recommendation would be to stay in Moshi town the night after safari and do the day trip the following day. Park fees for a day trip are $83 (including V.A.T) add guide fee, lunch, transport etc. it should cost $150 - $200 per person from Moshi town.

Edward - Pristine trails Adventures & Safaris

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Moshi
Moshi
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marangu Day Hike

Thanks a lot for the replies. I requested all of the TO's to provide a quote starting from and finishing in Arusha so that wouldn't be the source of the discrepancy.

Moshi would be a better location for this, but we have already booked accommodations in Arusha and figured we wanted to do this later, so unfortunately we have to start in Arusha.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Moshi
Moshi
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply