We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a kili / safari trek for September 2019

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
Planning a kili / safari trek for September 2019

I’m planning a 2-week Kilimanjaro / Safari trek for September-October 2019. Our dates are fairly rigid: we would depart the US on Saturday, September 21, and need to be back home by Sunday, October 6.

Rough itinerary would be:

- Day 1: Depart JFK Saturday afternoon

- Day 2: Arrive Amsterdam early Sunday, fly to JRO via KLM, arrive JRO Sunday evening.

- Days 3-9: Kili climb

- Day 10: Rest in Moshi / Arusha

- Days 11-13: Safari

- Day 14: Safari / depart JRO on Friday evening.

- Day 15: Depart Amsterdam Saturday morning and arrive JFK Saturday afternoon.

So that’s only a 4 day / 3 night safari, but that seems like the most I can squeeze in while allowing for travel days and 7 days for Lemosho route. Thoughts?

Next, how soon should I book? I’m hesitant to book the climb or safari until we get our airfare squared away, but most airlines don’t book more than a year out. So should I wait until closer to September 2018 to really start the serious planning?

I think we’ll most likely end up flying something to Amsterdam to pick up a KLM direct flight from there to JRO. I hear that’s the best route from the US when considering time / value / reliability. Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Kilimanjaro National Park
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Moshi
Moshi
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
4 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
65 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a kili / safari trek for September 2019

You're planning your trip for the same time I am. We will be there Sep 20 - October 4, 2019.

I'm waiting until September or October to start contacting TO's for the exact reason you mention. I'm not sure what airline I am taking or their schedules for 2019 yet. I am debating between United/Turkish Airlines and Delta/KLM. Turkish is cheaper and I'm interested in their free stopover tour, but Turkey is opening their new airport this October and it will be the largest in the world. I kind of want to see how that goes before choosing them as my airline. I've flown Delta to Amsterdam before and it was a great flight and I loved Amsterdam, but if possible, and especially for free, I wouldn't mind a tour of Istanbul.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a kili / safari trek for September 2019

If you have any ideas on tour guides please let me know. I’ll be sure to do the same. We’ve done a little initial research but nothing in depth. We do plan to use a local operator - the big international operators like nat geo, rei, etc. cost an absolute fortune. Obviously a professional outfit is the primary criteria but cost is always a factor.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a kili / safari trek for September 2019

Cut off middleman business book direct through local tour operator and you can visit www.tatotz.org as good chamber to find TOs drop your itinerary wishlist and budget, what kinds of accommodation style, private safari or join group safari TOs will be back with different tour package quote.try to email several tour operator to compare cost and what is include in safari package. Also you can go can bullet 4th page in TA page there is recommended tour operator

Marangu, Tanzania
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a kili / safari trek for September 2019

When looking for a Kilimanjaro operator I recommend you contact a Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project partner company - https://kiliporters.org/. These are companies that adhere to a strict code of conduct when it comes to porter welfare. Porters are part and parcel in your success on Kilimanjaro. they carry all luggage including tents, food, equipment and your personal clothing. Yet this group is highly marginalised. Partner companies open up all climbs to be investigated and they get a score which maintains their position as a partner company or takes them off the list. It's voluntary to partner with KPAP so there isn't a reason why a company that says they look after porters doesn't join KPAP. There are many local operators on the partner list who are listed as "Kilimanjaro outfitter" such as:

African Scenic - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Pristine Trails - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Gladys Adventures - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Shah Tours - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

You can start contacting operators on here now. It's not too early. Many of these companies also organise safaris as well.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Planning a kili / safari trek for September 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted