We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania with a wheelchair

Muscat, Oman
1 post
Save Topic
Tanzania with a wheelchair

Hi everyone,

I would like to travel with my parents for my mom's birthday. I am planning to bring them to Tanzania as they really like wild life and safari. My father needs a wheel chair due to his age and a car accident he had earlier. I was wondering if Tanzania is an accessible country and convenient to travel with a wheelchair? Difficult to reach the safari area after landing in Dar es salaam and the weather is too hot to travel with my parents? It is my bad that this is quite a last minute plan from May 30th to June 4th. Your advices and recommendations for a decent safari hotel and a travel agent would be great. Many thanks in advance. Ece

Mentioned in this post
Dar Es Salaam Intl Airport
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzania with a wheelchair

Hi

Tanzania is possible with wheelchair no problem. June is the best time visit and still have the chance to explore the migration as possibly will be at Western Serengeti. Contact with various operators and tell them your inquiries and hopefully, they will help you plan your itinerary according to your number of days. You will get the special safari Land cruiser with the seat set up ready for your dad.

Cheers

Wild Root safaris team

Mentioned in this post
Kilimanjaro Region...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania with a wheelchair

Hi, every thing that you mentioned it is possible, what you need is the best lodge where you and your parents could sleep before, during and after safari,

Happy birthday in advance.

Hantaexpedition.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
3,951 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzania with a wheelchair

Email to TO can organise the wheelchair

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Uganda
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzania with a wheelchair

There is an extremely positive and can-do attitude in almost every safari camp I've been to/operator I've met in Tanzania, so you absolutely can do this, but levels of accessibility are not what they are in some more developed countries. In practice what this tends to mean is that it is difficult for someone in a wheelchair to get around with the same degree of independence as they might be used to at home. I've organised several safaris for people in wheelchairs and I have at least one friend who's planned a very successful trip for a man who was paralysed from the neck down. So it can certainly be done, and done well!

The main thing that you need to know is that the major challenge in travelling in a wheelchair in Africa is that it is comparatively difficult to do things with the degree of freedom and independence that you can have in the west, however there are many, many people on hand to help. For example, very few lodges will have specifically enabled rooms (bar the larger hotel chains like Sopa and Serena) and I am not aware of any wheelchair adapted safari vehicles in Tanzania, though happy to be corrected on this.

In general, you should not expect roll in showers (some camps do have these by accident rather than by any specific plan) or grab rails by loos etc. It would very much be a case of being helped in and out of vehicles by the staff, and in the bathroom by you etc unless you went somewhere that specifically had enabled rooms, so this would need to be something that your Dad felt comfortable with. Pathways are also often sandy, so having a wheelchair that can cope with these is a bonus. It's imperative that you let your tour op know in advance so they can do as much as possible to help you and make advance preparations. I think for someone who is comfortable being helped and boosted up into safari vehicles etc, it's possible to have an incredible safari, but it's really worth talking through the practicalities with your father first to make sure this is something he is happy with.

Alexandra- Extraordinary Africa

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Tanzania with a wheelchair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2018, 10:47