We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any suggestions

5 posts
Save Topic
any suggestions

Hello everyone

I am taking my daughter for her 18th birthday to Marrakech in October 1st time visit. We are staying at Riad MarKaal in Medina for 2 nights then Sofitel for 2 nights as wanted to try both new and old city

Have roughly planned the itinerary below

Day one – arrive at Riad Markaal (have booked transfer via riad) around 12pm have lunch

Pm Sightseeing - horse and cart ride - Djemaa el-Fna (the square) ,Bahia Palace, Jardin Majorelle

then Hammam-

Eve visit the square at night eat around Medina

Day 2

maybe Ourika Valley day trip? Is this worth it?

café de france in the square early evening for the views of the square

Day 3

Day Relax around pool then Shopping/ spa/hammam

Eve – Nice meal for her birthday maybe Buddha Bar for birthday meal

Day 3

Maybe Nikki beach during day?

nice restaurant at night maybe club (she wants to try some club nightlife in Marrakech) any suggestions?

Can anyone suggest anything else we can do or change on here, We really just want to do some sightseeing, Do we need a guide? And have nice meals in the evening at nice restaurants and maybe visit a club – although this is something I’m not too keen on but will go for daughter! I’m not old but clubbing is not really my scene anymore, much prefer nice wine bars, but daughter doesn’t drink but like to party!

Also if we do clubs in the new city, how easy is it to go back to our riad late at night on the safety aspect?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Bahia Palace
Bahia Palace
9,398 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Jardin Majorelle
Jardin Majorelle
38,687 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Ourika Valley
Ourika Valley
870 Reviews
Ourika, Morocco
Buddha-Bar Marrakech
Buddha-Bar Marrakech
565 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Nikki Beach
Nikki Beach
209 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
4 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any suggestions

Save your shopping and sightseeing for your days when you stay in the Medina - save the clubbing and nightlife for your nights in Hivernage

Sofitel is close to several lounge bars and clubs and they also have their own So Lounge Marrakech bar so around there you have plenty of options - maybe check out reviews for VIP Room Marrakech or Comptoir Darna Marrakech (where you can also have dinner) which are both walkable from your hotel. Theatro club is also nearby if you looking for a late night place.

I think it is worth getting out of the city for one day so yes Ourika is recommended or in fact I prefer Imlil

Edited: 07 August 2018, 18:49
Mentioned in this post
So Lounge Marrakech
So Lounge Marrakech
1,035 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
VIP ROOM Marrakech
VIP ROOM Marrakech
15 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Comptoir Darna Marrakech
Comptoir Darna Marrakech
4,750 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Imlil
Imlil
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: any suggestions

Thank you Nibrika, will look at the places you suggested. Also is it better to go with a guide in Medina or would we be ok on our own?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any suggestions

depends how well travelled you are - have you been to developing countries before? If not then getting a guide for a half day to get your bearings around the Medina could be a good idea

BTW if you like nice wine bars then make sure you go to 68 Bar A Vin in Gueliz - best place to try different Moroccan wines by the glass

Mentioned in this post
Gueliz
Gueliz
809 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: any suggestions

Ourika valley - in my opinion not worth it. I was there last Thursday and, well, I hated it. The place itself could be nice but the people visiting the site were an absolute nightmare! The way up to the waterfalls was very narrow and yet almost everyone behaved as an animal. I am used to hiking in mountains where the top is narrow and people have to watch out for each other, once you move sideways, next time the other person will and so on, simply people behaving like people and helping each other. Not so much in this valley. Tourists seemed more like bulldozers, I almost fell down the rocks twice because someone could not wait for me to pass, they just got in our way and expected us to move (and there was nowhere to move) or probably evaporate I guess. I have never ever seen such unfriendly crowds of people. If you want to see beautiful waterfalls, go to Ouzoud - those are much more worth your time (and are truly spectacular). We were really glad that our main goal was the mountains and this was just a short stop before getting on a bus back to Marrakech.

However, maybe in October, there will be less people. If you decide to go, definitely wear appropriate footware, you truly do climb a few slippery rocks. I saw a LOT of girls dressed for the catwalk in fashionable sandals slip here and there or be forced to use all four limbs to get up.

Mentioned in this post
Ourika Valley
Ourika Valley
870 Reviews
Ourika, Morocco
Marrakech
Marrakech
Reply to: any suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted