We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Privacy in riads

Toronto
Level Contributor
706 posts
4 reviews
Privacy in riads

Hello,

I'm trying to decide on a riad in Marrakech. Staying in a riad in the medina seems to be a unique experience. The photos of riads look so beautiful and exotic.

However, most riads are small houses that have only 5-6 rooms. I have seen some negative comments about how the riads are noisy (kitchen, cleaning activities, etc.) because they are smaller and the presence of the staff and other guests may be too much because of the limited space in the common areas. I am concerned that I won't be able to enjoy complete privacy in a riad as opposed to a large hotel with a lot of space for the guests to spread out.

Your comments on the personal space/privacy issue in a riad are much appreciated if you have experienced staying in a riad.

Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Privacy in riads

Well, I've been to many riads in Marrakech and some of them were just good, it's true that in some there were noise because of the staff trying to prepare breakfast at 6 am but in some of them we got a room in the last floor and it was just fine

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Privacy in riads

Hi there.

The initial subject is pretty targeting a real aspect of some numerous places & and true & useful as the first answer.

Some places will be noisy especially the ones which have a kitchen on the ground floor and when some staff are noisy..it can be a nuisance for the ones who would prefer sleeping..later.

Depends too..of the kind of guest..noisy or not..with nice manners..& opposite...

If the Team & manager is professional and care about the satisfaction of their guest & travelers..this should be avoid especially for the ones who choose having a kitchen on the roof terrace for avoiding the "Resonance aspect of the Riads " due to the courtyard.

A part of it, privacy is a question of size & architecture and number of accommodations.

The most accommodations you have in a small Riads..the less privacy you got..

English friends would say that " you will get what you pay for.."

Last..depends of the way the Riad is managed and the degree of involvement of the staff to provide the best experience to the guests I might say.

Wishing it might help.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
124 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Privacy in riads

If you choose to stay in a tradional Riad for the experience, think of it as staying in someone’s home. In your home there is noise when your kids use the bathroom or go to the kitchen. It really doesn’t worry you does it ? It’s the same here, if the Riad is bigger than 5 rooms just ask for a room at the back or top floor away from the kitchen or dining area.

We have guests who love the downstairs room, as they think they are involved in everything that’s going on, that makes the holiday for them, they love to sit in the doorway, deliveries from the flower man, snap snap onto Instagram , deliveries from fruit man, snap snap etc. They talk to guests coming back from trips, they really feel involved ... I guess it’s a matter of preference. Please don’t forget Morocco is actually Africa! It’s a much more interactive culture.

If you feel more comfortable having no interaction than tell your host who will give you a room at the top of the Riad, and you can take your meals on the roof terrace as well. Most Riads try to keep noise down after 10 pm and early in the morning but unfortunately can’t legislate against occasional anti social guest.😟

Reply to: Privacy in riads
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted