We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saffron

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
183 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Saffron

Can you buy Saffron in the souk?

7 replies to this topic
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saffron

Yes you can, but Morocco is a hotbed of fake goods, so beware of adulterated product, see https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/foo…

iI buy mine in the UK and Spain.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Spain
Spain
Europe
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,023 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saffron

If you know what you’re doing you can buy saffron for much less than you’ll find at home.

penna
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saffron

I agree with Tim. Almost all the saffron I see in the souk is low quality and being sold at high prices.

I am spoiled by the high quality Spanish saffron I can get at reasonable prices at home.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saffron

I’ve even been disappointed in the saffron sold in Taliouine which is the centre of the crocus growing industry. Without transport and middleman cuts you’d expect the prices to be reasonable, but not so.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saffron

Morocco is second largest producer of saffron in the world.Saffron from Talioune is a certified label. How to tell real from fake? Real is deep red, aroma is smoky musk .in water it floats and goes yellow. Any saffron that smells musty dusty and has yellow or white threads is usually mixed with cornsilk. Good saffron will cost anything from 5 to 6 euros a gramme. Less than that you re getting fake. Lots of spice shops sell real saffron; you need good referral from riad or friends

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saffron

But when you go to saffron centre on the main road through Taliouine they talk about the various grades of saffron. I might be naturally suspicious but to me this sounded like the opportunity to sell essentially the same product at different price points.

https://www.smoothquality.top/100-grams-pure…

The advert above is another suspicious deal, offering 100g of 'pure organic high grade saffron' for €38 (special price instead of €120). If it was €5-6 per gram it would be €500.

I buy saffron in Spain for far less than €5-6 per gram, I'm headed out to Spain next week and if I can remember I'll report back on the price.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
96 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saffron

Some of the best saffron I ever bought was from last year's Festival du Tapis in Taznakht. A nice chap from a cooperative on the flanks of Siroua had a stall. It cost 35 DH a gramme and I still have some left for the times I make a homemade tangia.

Nearer to Marrakech, you could try Christine at Le Paradis de Safron 3 km from Ourika. Prices will be high as this stuff is ISO graded. You could schedule a visit if you are visiting the Anima gardens that are nearby.

If you only have time for medina shopping, go to Bouchaib, a big artisanal 'department store' near the Saadien tombs. They have little containers of good quality saffron for 90 dh. Can't remember how many grammes though.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 23:08
Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Reply to: Saffron
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech