We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft in Fes

cozmykgirl
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Theft in Fes

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Fes in May and was wondering if it's generally safe to have your camera out and about in the medina. Has anyone had a bad experience with petty theft? Thank you for the advice!

Diane

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,406 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Theft in Fes

Just take normal precautions. Most tourists have cameras.

St. Paul, Minnesota
Level Contributor
366 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Theft in Fes

We had no problem with theft. My experience though was that by taking a photo, I identified myself as a tourist to onlookers and we got offered things we didn't want. Be prepared to say "no, merci" or "la shokran" if you don't want to see someone's Berber house (carpet souk) or spice stall. Actually, the Berber house was cool and I bought two scarves there. The spice stall guy started to lead us way further into the windy streets than we were comfortable with, and wanted money when we refused to go further. I do suggest that you ask permission before photographing people.

Fes, Morocco
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Theft in Fes

Fez is considered a very safe place. There is less hassle than Marrakech and even at night the streets are safer than most European cities. . Do take care with expensive mobile phones in crowded areas as there have been relatively rare thefts from open day packs. In general the local folks are friendly and welcoming of tourists.

cozmykgirl
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Theft in Fes

Thank you all for the helpful advice!

Ouarzazate, Morocco
Level Contributor
128 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Theft in Fes

As Tim said just take normal precautions. And I would also agree to the statement that it is safer than many European or American cities.

But! I believe Fes is the worst city in Morocco, considering theft. I lived there 2 years, before I moved to Ouarzazate. During those 2 years, probably every week, a taxi driver or other person would remind me to watch my bag and my (pretty expensive) camera which was often with me. Nothing ever happen to me but I had some friends who were less lucky.

I do like to repeat, it is safer than many western cities, don't be afraid, just take good care of your handbag and camera.

6. Re: Theft in Fes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Fes