We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers in Fes - moderately anxious

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
122 posts
13 reviews
First timers in Fes - moderately anxious

Dear Travellers,

Inside I know that I don't have to be anxious about the 2 and a half day trip of ours to Fes - but I read some warnings, and I would like to know the truth about them:

As first-timers in Morocco, do we need a guide in Fes?

Is it possible to go to Meknes (and maybe Volubilis / or Seffrou) for a half-day trip with a guide? Or without a guide? What do you recommend?

Taking pictures is really an issue in the Medina? Some warned me there can be trouble.

Is it easy getting from the Medina (where our dar will be) to the 'new town'? What are there the 'must-see'-s?

Thank you for all your answers! The questions may seem silly I know, but they are important now :-).

1. Re: First timers in Fes - moderately anxious

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 February 2013, 16:35
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,482 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: First timers in Fes - moderately anxious

You don't have to have a guide for Fez. There's a series of routes through the medina which are marked with coloured signs placed high up so you can see them, guidebooks have maps. Best is to enter from Bab Boujouloud and take one of the two telaa (sloping lanes) either Telaa Kebira (big slope) or Telaa Seghrira (small slope) and these head downwards.

Dina N does not offer good advice re photography. Many people do not like having their photo taken so always ask first.

Fez Encounters from Lonely Planet is an excellent pocket-sized guidebook, see amazon.co.uk/Fez-Lonely-Planet-Encounter-Gui…

See also The View from Fez weblog at http://riadzany.blogspot.com/

My favourite trip from Fez is to go to Azrou 80km south to see the wild monkeys, see tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g616013-c145720/Azr…

Singapore
Level Contributor
106 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: First timers in Fes - moderately anxious

We stayed at ryad naila in fes and the riad assistant manager there Mohamed was very kind to act as a guide for us during our stay there. I think the area around the bab bjloud area is easy enough to navigate - and that's where most of the food can be found as well! We did do a day trip to meknes, Moulay Idriss and volubilis from fes with a driver, paid 400dh each for two people. The driver wasn't exactly a guide per se although he did provide nuggets of information along the drive. I went to the new town as well but didn't find it particularly interesting.

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: First timers in Fes - moderately anxious

Agree with above posts. We went to Meknes, Volubilis and Moulay Idriss with a driver/guide on our way to Fez, but while in Fez we didn't use a guide and it was fine. Our guide (Jalil) took us to the Jewish quarter (Mellah) and to some other places in the new town which we would not have seen if we didn't have him.

5. Re: First timers in Fes - moderately anxious

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Fes
Recent Conversations