We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drivinfg Fes to Moulay Idriss via road N4 mid March

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
55 reviews
Drivinfg Fes to Moulay Idriss via road N4 mid March

We are travelling by hire car from Fes to Meknes where we'll stay one night but if possible wanted to drive via Voubilis and Moulay Idriss which seem on google maps accessible by the N4 road then a yellow road. Has anybody done this and can you give us approx driving times please?

It seems most people drive directly to Meknes then head up on the main road from there which I imagine is faster. We would prefer the other route so we can see different scenery and avoid driving along the same road twice! Unless the road is pretty bad/ dangerous/ or much longer.

Thanks for any advice

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,406 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Drivinfg Fes to Moulay Idriss via road N4 mid March

It's some time since I did the roads cutting across from the N4 and I can't remember the condition, but have a look. Approaching this way you should pass the Roman aquaduct on the eastern outskirts of Moulay Idriss that's not in any of the guide books. Stop and have a clamber up. Originally the aquaduct carried on across the plain to Volubilis.

Alternatively carry on a bit further on the N4 until you reach the N13 and then approach Moulay Idriss from the north.

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Drivinfg Fes to Moulay Idriss via road N4 mid March

Thanks so much for your reply! your idea of the N4 meeting up with the N13 from the north sounds good and perhaps more reliable as we're just getting smallish car so don't want to get stranded anywhere! Google maps gives this as 1hr 12 minutes driving time but I know Mr Google often isn't very realistic! We're planning to leave Fes fairly early morning, spend a couple of hours in Volubilis and the same in Moulay Idriss then what time we have left and the evening in Meknes. Does this sound OK?

A local expert's help is much appreciated!!

Merzouga
Level Contributor
18 posts
3. Re: Drivinfg Fes to Moulay Idriss via road N4 mid March

Hello

Hope this answer will helps, I did that road more than 100 time because of my job, what i can say is that it will be much better to drive from Fez to Volubulis trough the National way N4 ( It will be on your right hand coming from Fez toward Meknes with sing showin Sidi Kacem) follow it for about 1 hour, you will find a big Gaz Station called (BRTQUIZIA) it will be in front of you as it's very big i'm sure you will not miss it, then take the road on your left hand it's like V and just follow it untill Zggouta small vilage up a small hill and turn again to the left hand it will take you to Volubulis it's in 3 km before getting to Moulay Idriss.

Good luck

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: Drivinfg Fes to Moulay Idriss via road N4 mid March

Thanks very much Youssef for your answer!

How long do you think the journey will take altogether from Fez to Volubilis this way?

Is the road from the N4 perhaps the N13 that TIm has suggested as this arrives in Volubilis from the north? There are some town names on google map but only in Arabic which I'm afraid I don't understand.

Thanks Gill

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,406 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: Drivinfg Fes to Moulay Idriss via road N4 mid March

Youssef's answer sounds like the N13 route I mentioned.

I've since remembered I visited that area last year and I've dug out a tracklog map which is at morocco-knowledgebase.net/tim/aquaduct_road.…

Once on the N4 you go through some twisties then take the road to the left which should be signed Moulay Idriss. You then join the P7014 and the aquaduct I mentioned crosses a small valley on your left just before Moulay Idriss, see photos in post #9 at morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

I now understand the first of the Volubilis photos is the other end of the aquaduct.

As you can see from the map, after visiting I headed south for Meknes, then took the scenic A2 motorway back to Fez.

Merzouga
Level Contributor
18 posts
6. Re: Drivinfg Fes to Moulay Idriss via road N4 mid March

Hi

Yes the road N4 will lead you to N13 and come to Volubulis from the North. It will take about 1 h 40 minutes from Fez to Volubulis with some stops for picturs, the road signes are wrotten in both (Arabic and Latin alphabets) i'm sure you will not miss them

Good luck

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Drivinfg Fes to Moulay Idriss via road N4 mid March

Hi Gill

Off topic completely....do you still live in Andora (some of the time or all of the time) ?

We moved here in September - we are Canadian. Let me know!

Thanks.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Drivinfg Fes to Moulay Idriss via road N4 mid March

Hi Gill,

Do you still live in Andora, some or most of the time? We are Canadian, must moved here in September....let me know! Thanks. (you might be a great source of info and advice!)

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
55 reviews
9. Re: Drivinfg Fes to Moulay Idriss via road N4 mid March

Hi

Yes - but only for the summer months from about May to September/October, the rest of the time in London!

Whereabouts are you? We have a house on the road from town up to Colla Micheri, just past the Grillo Parlante. We'll be coming later in April, around the 22nd... If you're around then perhaps we could meet for coffee?

Gill and Riccardo

10. Re: Drivinfg Fes to Moulay Idriss via road N4 mid March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2014, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Fes