We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Fez to Chefchaouen to Tangier

Adelaide
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Fez to Chefchaouen to Tangier

Hello

I am seeking information on the best way to travel from Fez to Chefchaouen (staying one night) and then on to Tangier to depart at 1400 hour flight to Spain.

From my research it appears pssible to catch either the train or bus to Chefchaouen frm Fes - but I can't locate any timetabels for either. Can anyone advise the best way to do this? We would ideally like to have the afternnon to wander around Chefchaouen if possible.

From Chefchaouen I have read in another post that it might be best to take a taxi to Tetouan, then another taxi to Tangier airport. Has anyone done this and is it feasible?

Cheers

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Fez to Chefchaouen to Tangier

There is an 11 a.m. bus (no trains from Fes to Chef) from the CTM station in Fes to Chefchaouen which gets you in at around 4 in the afternoon. I believe there may even be an earlier bus than that as well but you'd have to confirm that by going to the CTM bus station (in the Ville Nouvelle), which I recommend anyway to get your ticket in advance. Don't bother trying to get any info about this from their website (it is notorious for always being "down").

If you need to be in Tangier airport at a specific time, then you might want to just arrange for a grand taxi to drive you there, you could do it cheaper by taking the shared taxi to Tetouan and another shared taxi to Tangier, but I wouldn't given your time constraints. Your accommodation in Chefchaouen would be able to arrange a taxi for you to the Tangier airport (I've never done this myself but it seems like the absolute max price shouldn't be more than 600 dirhams).

Moscow
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Fez to Chefchaouen to Tangier

There is a CTM bus going from Fez at 07:30am but you have to book the ticket in advance.You will be in Chefchaouen around midday.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Fez to Chefchaouen to Tangier

Thank you both for your responses! Very much appreciated.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Fez to Chefchaouen to Tangier

Hi,

A related question about the grand taxis--is it possible to hire a taxi to travel between Tangier or Ceuta to Chefchaouen....would this be about 600dr?

thanks

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Fez to Chefchaouen to Tangier

The simple answer to that one is that you can hire a grand taxi to take you anywhere as long as you've got the money. As for the price, you'll have to ask someone more familiar with that trajectory and how much would be a reasonable price. To give you an idea, a grand taxi driver will take up to six people and charge about 10 dirhams per head for every hour travelled. As a foreigner, you can hire the entire taxi for yourself (i.e. buy all six places) but you'd have to be a pretty skilled bargainer to get a local's price.

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Fez to Chefchaouen to Tangier

To answer your question, there are two types of "grande taxis",

1) The normal tourist grande taxi, which is a cream mercedes, and which at a price will take you anywhere you wish. These taxis do not have metres, you fix a price before entering into it. You will definitely not be able to negotiate a price which local people will be able to get it for. Do not forget that you will be paying for the journey to Tanger, and the return journey which the driver will not be able to guarantee that he will be able to pick up a passenger. I doubt if you will be able to get this taxi under around 1200/1600MD.

2) Moroccan large taxis which travel from one town to another, these taxis are normally old badly maintained taxis that take 6 people. You pay per seat, and are able to buy more than one seat, do bear in mind that a full taxi will be very cramped. These taxis wait until the have a full car before departing, personally I would not advice as a tourist using this type of vehicle, it most definetely is not for the tourist industry, and you will certainly be charged more than locals for the service.

Do bear in mind that if you are planning to catch a ferry from Tanger, more than likely there will be delays at the port at this time of year, so do allow adequate time.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Fez to Chefchaouen to Tangier

Thanks for the info--that clarifies things...to the point that it may not be feasible! we'll see. just looking for a way to Chef from Tangiers or Cueta. I haven't looked into the bus sched yet but was hoping not to spend a better part of a day waiting for bus to Chef. thanks for your help. Do you know anything about riad Dar Hannan in Chef. Looks lovely but haven't seen any reviews on the internet--wondering if it's new. Sorry to the OP to hijack this thread!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Fez to Chefchaouen to Tangier

I've been spending lots of time reading posts, seaching the internet for information and getting more confused! Travelling from Granada and heading to Chef. We will probably be taking a bus to Chef after the ferry. So, with this in mind, wondering if it better to arrive in Tangiers or Ceuta? Generally, how long is the ferry ride (I've read 30min to 3 hours) and how long might a bus be from Tangiers and Ceuta?

Thanks so much (again)

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Fez to Chefchaouen to Tangier

I travel frequently on the ferries but only over to Tanger, sorry I cannot give you information regarding Ceuta. The journey from Tarifa to Tanger is advertised as taking 35 minutes, alas this time scale has never materialized when I have sailed, minimum time has been 50 minutes. Journey time from Algercias to Tanger is l hour, I have achieved this time scale. Journey from Gibraltar to Tanger is approximately 70 minutes, have once again done this journey in around 75 minutes. The slower boats that only sail from Algercias take between 2.1/2hrs to 3 hours, I must admit unless weather conditions preclude travelling on the fast ferries I do not use them. It is like travelling on the slow boat to China.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Fez to Chefchaouen to Tangier

Thanks for the info Tangergirl.

do the fast boats leave both ports quite frequently--say once an hour??