We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian food in Fes/ Weather end of October

Brighton, Uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Vegetarian food in Fes/ Weather end of October

Hi - I'm hoping someone can help!

I'm thinking of going to Riad Fes at the end of October, and wondred whether we would have any trouble getting veggie food in Fes (my husband & I are both veggies who don't eat fish either) Are we being too awkward or should we have no trouble finding enough to eat for say 4 nights?

Also does anyone have any experience of what the weather may be like the last week or so of October?

Thanks!!! Dyerbeast

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Vegetarian food in Fes/ Weather end of October

I am quite sure you won't be disappointed with the Moroccan cuisine especially in Fes. There is plenty of vegitarian dishes just make sure to mentionned it to the cook where you will be eating.

To be a strict veggi is not in the Moroccan culture yet so you donot mention every time the cook will assume the service as normal.

Regarding the weather is depending on the lenght os the summer.

I witenessed both the heat and the cloudy windy weather , ihope it will be fine for you.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Vegetarian food in Fes/ Weather end of October

Asking for 'vegetarian' in Morocco means 9 times out of 10 that they remove the meat from the pot and give you the vegetables, so expect this in restaurants. It can be a headache observing strict vegetarian rules, as here meat is king.

That being said, most street stalls will offer very good vegetarian options, things you probably won't be offered in nicer restaurants. In Fez you will be able to find these hole-in-the-wall places everywhere but there is a good concentration of them in the Achabine neighborhood. Ask or look for vegetarian specialties such as:

Bessaara-Fava bean, garlic, and cumin soup topped with lots of olive oil.

Loubia- White bean stew.

Addas- Lentils

Maqouda- Fried potato dumplings, usually served as a sandwich.

Djenjal- Fried aubergine

Moroccan starters are also usually cooked salads which means no meat, and in many places they will serve you so many salads that they practically constitute a meal in and of themselves. Look out for "zalouq", a delicious aubergine and tomato salad.

Morocco has wonderful produce but in order to go vegetarian, you have to know what to ask for. Good luck!

penna
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Vegetarian food in Fes/ Weather end of October

If you really do niot want to risk any exposure to meat and meat products i would recommend eating these.

salads yummy and healthy

pasta in sauces that are normally meat free ( ali oli,maranara, and pesto°

pizza is a yummy and good choice as not only do the make if from scratch ; many places you can watch the process.

pastries can use lard to make them so be wary of them

omelets are a good choide if you are not ova restricted.

also look for grilled veggies as they are made just on fire.

lastly there is always hitting the local store (marjane or acima are great)

and just getting what you need for dinner , i do this all the time

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Vegetarian food in Fes/ Weather end of October

I think chano was a little bit harsh on they (he meant Moroccan cooks or chefs) there is no 9 of 10 or 10 out of million i do not how he manage to find this statistic. I have been to Fes dozen of time with my family including my son who alegec to gluten and we have nerver experience any thing bad. I think in Morocco people are human if you explain to (they) will understand.

My friend talk to the guy who is cooking your food and i am sure you will be spoilt for choise and tastes.

Have a good trip

Morocco and Spain
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
5. Re: Vegetarian food in Fes/ Weather end of October

Most ryads are good about preparing veggi food. As most places prepare food to order, you should have no trouble getting veggie food. Also state if you eat checken or fish as many vegetarians do.

I would be careful of those stalls as it is easy to get upset tummies

6. Re: Vegetarian food in Fes/ Weather end of October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 11:46
Get answers to your questions about Fes