We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Fez

Glen Rock, NJ
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Fez

I will be traveling to Fez around June 17 - 24, visiting my daughter who is a college student. She will be studying Arabickfor 6 weeks at ALIF. As her mom, traveling alone, where would you suggest I stay? It appears as if the riads are preferable to the hotels. Which ones should I look at?

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Fez

Do you know if your daughter will be living with a family in the medina or in the accommodation the ALIF provides in the nearby villa (in the Ville Nouvelle)? A riad would be preferable in general but maybe you want to be in the same general area without having to take taxis all the time. The Hotel Menzeh Zalagh is right around the corner from ALIF.

Glen Rock, NJ
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Fez

My daughter will be living with a family, but she will not get her assignment for a while. Thank you for your suggestion. I was also looking at Riad Fez and Riad al-Bartal. Any thoughts?

Fez, Morocco
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Fez

Both Riad Fes and Bartal are lovely. I the newer part of Riad Fes is nicer I think. For other riad options look under the B&B reviews in Trip Advisor, as well as the hotel section.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
35 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Fez

My husband and I just got back from 4 days in Fez visiting our son who has been studying Arabic there, ,as part of a semester abroad program. We stayed at the riad Dar Dmana and were very pleased. I just wrote a review which should be up soon.

The price we paid (which included breakfast) was between $125-$150 a night, I think . Definitely would plan on arranging for transfers to and from the airport ahead of time . We used Paul Brown and Experience It! Tours in NY, and he has an American guy in Fez who handles things there. All our arrangements went off without a hitch.

Other random notes:

Petit taxis which go all around the town (and from ALIF to the medina, etc.) are very cheap- like a dollar or two at most, usually. The Dar Dmana is in the Batha area and very handy to taxiis.

Be sure and try the little pastry shops and donut vendors- really tasty, safe and about 1 dirham for each piece! (about 12 cents).

Food in general is really cheap there, and if your daughter is living with a family they will no doubt insist you eat at least once or more with them- we did this and it was quite an experience! The food is delicious, but it was eaten sans utensils...The Moroccans have amazing hospitality and are very welcoming to Americans. We loved every minute.

Be sure and bring an empty bag if you like to shop and like crafts- they have amazing things and they are really quite cheap. If your child speaks Arabic like our son does she will be a big help in the souks (as well as everywhere else), as they do bargain and seem to treat Arabic speakers quite a bit differently than they do the rest of us. You can get cash easily from ATM machines .

Hope this helps! Have a great time and be prepared to walk a lot!

Glen Rock, NJ
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Fez

Thank you so much for your valuable information!

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Fez

Hi Bonnie,

I'll be at ALIF this summer also. I am a Spec. Ed. Program Developer presently residing in Kuwait. I've been looking into housing and your query about riads prompted me to research rates. Thank you!!!! After spending the greater part of my day on the internet, I agree that riads are the way to go for a more authentic, personal Moroccan experience. Please know that summer rates after the World Music Festival (which I believe ends around the 9th of June) are not "high season" rates. I have contacted several riads today and the ones that have replied have come in at rates 50% off what is advertised on their websites (as I am staying for six weeks they will negotiate to a greater extent). I would encourage you to contact the riads directly and negotiate for at least 25% off their listed price. Thank you for query as it prompted me to search for the best value! Looking forward to meeting you and your daughter!

7. Re: Where to stay in Fez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 14:46