We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Fes to Meknes and Volubilis

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
224 posts
37 reviews
Day trip from Fes to Meknes and Volubilis

Am I able to find a taxi (grand taxi?) from Fes to do the day trip? How much does it likely to cost? My research shows that it should be around 350-500Dh.

10 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,845 posts
171 reviews
1. Re: Day trip from Fes to Meknes and Volubilis

If you take private grand taxi, then it can be possible it cost so. But if you take shared taxi, it cost surely less. I not know how much, but Meknes is not so far from Fes, it is about 60 km or so, so it can never cost so much as 350-500 Dh. Maybe 30-50Dh?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
105 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Day trip from Fes to Meknes and Volubilis

I would say about 500Dh to take you and stay the day with you.

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
1 review
3. Re: Day trip from Fes to Meknes and Volubilis

Might be too late, but you can do this very affordable and comfortable via public transport!

First step to Meknes from Fez, take the train! Regular departures, you can find times online, and very affordable.

In Meknes, head to the grand taxi stand opposite the French Institute for grand taxis to Moulay Idriss. Easy to find if you have maps on your phone, and people will help you.

From Moulay Idriss, you may need a personal taxi to Volubilis. I hired a bicycle from a guesthouse Dar Zerhoune, which I regretted because I didn't ask the price in advance, assumed it would be cheap but was about $15 on return!!! Would be much cheaper to take private taxi or if you arrive early enough it would even be possible to walk, assuming you have access to maps!

Back in Moulay Idriss you have the option of getting a grand taxi back to Meknes, or you might get lucky and arrive back in time to get a local bus back - a little cheaper and actually more comfortable than a grand taxi.

Then back in Meknes, take the train back to Fez!

I highly recommend this day trip indepdently, lots of fun and a chance to see a different side of Morocco!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,449 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: Day trip from Fes to Meknes and Volubilis

The excavation of Volubilis under the French was pretty much an amateur affair with labourers told to dig until they hit bedrock. Nevertheless there were many finds but unfortunately all the artefacts are in the Rabat Archeological Museum.

My favourite story about Volubilis is when General Patton visited shortly after the Americans invaded Morocco in 1942. Patton was asked if he wanted a guide and declined, saying he had been a Roman Centurian stationed in Volubilis in a previous life.

Edited: 02 September 2017, 20:39
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1 post
129 reviews
5. Re: Day trip from Fes to Meknes and Volubilis

I have just done the day trip myself. First. take a train from Fes to Mekned EL Amir train station. Outside the station, you will find Grand taxi in white colour. If there are more than one person, you can share the cost. I was only 1 person so I had to pay the cost myself. It cost me MAD 270 for the return trip which included 1 hr in Volubilis, driving to see the panoramic view and visit to the local village. On the return journey I requested the driver to drop me at the Bab Mansour Gate. It is a very smelly place. I briefly visited Prison de Kara nearby. I took a taxi costing MAD 10 the train station and then took a train back to Fes.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Day trip from Fes to Meknes and Volubilis

Hi Tim, there Is now a small visitor centre/museum at Volubilis. So, some of the finds are now, quite well displayed at the site. This may be new since your last visit? Best, Victoria

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
7. Re: Day trip from Fes to Meknes and Volubilis

It is much easier to take the day trip from Meknes. I just did it three days ago.

Go to the Grand Taxi area close to Bab Mansour, hire a taxi.

I hired a young taxi driver called Mohammed who drives a new Nissan, 4 hours including Volublis and Moulay Idriss for 300DH.

London UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Day trip from Fes to Meknes and Volubilis

I am thinking about doing a very similar trip but am hiring a car which gives ultimate flexibility and allows for other side trips from Fez.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9,427 posts
151 reviews
9. Re: Day trip from Fes to Meknes and Volubilis

Volubilis also, has a very interesting and delicious winery.

1 post
1 review
10. Re: Day trip from Fes to Meknes and Volubilis

Thank you much!!!! This helps me greatly in my planning - I very much appreciate the links you included.

Cheers,

Rowena

Reply to: Day trip from Fes to Meknes and Volubilis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fes
Recent Conversations