We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Practical stuff

7 posts
Practical stuff

Hey everyone,

heading to Algeria soon, still have some questions... if someone who has been there or lives there can snswer, would be great...

1. I read conflicting statements about Eid. When exactly is it and will everything be closed? For example, what will be open on the 16th and 17th june? ( i will be in the capital)

2. Can someone recommend a nice beach close to Algier? I read something bout Sidi Fredj, but on the map it looks tiny. Or is it better to go to a beach in Tipaza? Can i wear a speedo-type swimwear on the beach?

3. What is better coming from Algier: to fly to Batna, go to Timgad and then to Constantine. Or to fly to Constantine and make a day trip to Timgad? (My hotel is in Constantine)

4. Can i enter Mosques wearing shorts or do i need to take long trousers with me?

5. I read somewhere that i cannot move freely in Ghardaia. Is that true? Is a guide mandatory?

6. What is the current black market rate for 1 Euro?

7. Is the government blocking some sites and apps like in Turkey or Dubai?

thanx :)

9 replies to this topic
Algiers, Algeria
Level Contributor
489 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: Practical stuff

Hi ,

A local here , below are answers to your questions :

1. Eid is probably going to be on Friday 15 and Saturday 16 , on these two days most of shops will be closed except the malls i guess and few other grocery shops

2. Sidi fredj is actually nice , you can also go to Zeralda , or tipaza le 7 or " la corne d'or " but then you'll need a VIP pass , if you like rocky beach , then go to cherchell ( veau marin ) it's one of the best spots in the whole country in my opinion and you wont be bothered

as for the swimwear , should be fine , you may find people swimming with the same outfit , others with their clothes and other category with bikinis , so it's quite diverse !

3. it's more or less the same thing , if u dont have time , then just fly to batna , go timgad and overnight in constantine , but if you do have enough time then you can fly to constantine , check-in your hotel and then go to timgad , either way the flight ticket cost is relatively close

4. the whole body should be covered , and if you mean visiting mosque of constantine , you'll be provided with appropriate "abbaya " at the entrance and scarf as well

5. yeah , true , actually except the big cities , you cannot travel by yourself and you need a guide , you might also need a guide for timgad

6. you might have to check it on your arrival

7. no blocked apps / websites

Enjoy your time

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,744 posts
172 reviews
2. Re: Practical stuff

I would recommend you to find some beach in Tipasa. It is more nice there than in Zeralda or even Sidi Fredj. I have been on Palm beach last Summer in late July and thought it will be nice, but it was not. And so many people, terrible. But Tipasa is on the rock and the coast is much more nice than near Algiers.

7 posts
3. Re: Practical stuff

cool thanx,

what about Chenoua plage in Tipaza? anyone been there?

But the 15th is already end of ramadan, so eating is allowed, right?

Guide in Ghardaia - really? How does it work? I cannot go alone on the street? What if i want to buy something from the store...

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,744 posts
172 reviews
4. Re: Practical stuff

I missed this to answer:

5. I read somewhere that i cannot move freely in Ghardaia. Is that true? Is a guide mandatory?

No, it is not mandatory, you can go alone without problem. I have been there also last year and first 1,5 days I had a guide but only for to orient me, because it as a little like labyrinth - pentapolis it is and as said a little difficult to find places I wanted to see. But next 2 days without any guide.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 17:19
Algiers, Algeria
Level Contributor
489 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Practical stuff

Chenoua plage is nice too

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,744 posts
172 reviews
6. Re: Practical stuff

Forget to answer this: "Can I wear a speedo swim suit on the beach?"

If you are the man, it's OK, but if you're a woman, I would not recommend it. Or I mean you can have it, but you would have a little longer tunic over. I speak from my own experience. I wanted to take a bath there but did not it because I would feel me naked between all covered women. So I skipped it, did not have tunic or something bigger shawl to cover me a bit and did not want people staring at me.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 14:37
7 posts
7. Re: Practical stuff

Sorry, did not mention that i'm a man...

what i was talking bout was the short "briefs" type of mens swimwear :)

anyway, seems to be ok...

and thanx for the info ...

will post a report when i get back ;)

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,744 posts
172 reviews
8. Re: Practical stuff

maybe you can, you are a man, we women have it a little more difficult :-(

yes, do it LOL