We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest transportation from HNL to Sheraton Waikiki

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Cheapest transportation from HNL to Sheraton Waikiki

Hello forumers,

We will be at Shearton Waikiki, Oahu in a weeks time and I wanted to ask what would be the cheapest way from the HNL airport to the hotel?

We will be there for 3 and half days, do you think it would be a good idea to book a car for all three and a half days for just two days? Are there any sights in oahu that can only be seen with a car?

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest transportation from HNL to Sheraton Waikiki

Technically, the cheapest way is The Bus. But according to people in here the bust won't let you on with luggage.

The second-cheapest is a shuttle, there are several to choose from and people in here can weigh in on what's the best.

A taxi from the airport to the Sheraton will probably cost a little over $30.

Yes, there are things to see on Oahu that you really need a car to get to (unless you want to spend hours and hours on a bus). However, since your stay is so short, I think you should do things the other way around: First decide what you want to see on Oahu, then it will be easier to decide how to get there.

If you crunch the numbers on booking a car for two days instead of three and a half, I bet they don't pan out. Renting a car in Waikiki is often more expensive than getting it at the airport. "One-way" rentals in which you pick up at the airport and drop off somewhere in Waikiki or vice-versa usually cost more, erasing any savings. And if you only get the car for part of the trip, you have to calculate in the cost of other transportation either to or from the airport.

I've tried to beat the system with one-way rentals and failed.

One more thing about costs: Sheraton Waikiki parking is pricey (as it is almost everywhere in Waikiki) and that hotel has a resort fee, too. If you need solid numbers in budgeting your transportation, call the hotel and ask how much each of those things cost. (Info may be on their website, too.)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,392 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest transportation from HNL to Sheraton Waikiki

I would say best value for the service is Hawaii23 Transportation.

http://www.hawaii23.com/

It depends on what you'd like to see. There is no doubt it makes everything easier, even in the Honolulu area, but you don't HAVE to, you can get around using The Bus. If you do that, I would rent a car one day to see the island, North Shore, Pali Lookout, etc.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest transportation from HNL to Sheraton Waikiki

The cheapest and most expedient way to get to Waikiki from the airport would be Hawaii 23. I would rent a car for at least one day during your stay.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest transportation from HNL to Sheraton Waikiki

Cheapest? - Walking!

But what is your brief time worth to you??

We invariably rent a car so we can see all of Oahu on our schedule.

There are smart and not so smart places to park.

Many condo rentals include free parking, but also involve cleaning fees upon checkout. At this point in time, maybe a condo is not an option, but you may want to look at last minute deals. - Bear in mind that that you WIIL be paying a cleaning fee where ever you stay, one way or another.

Waikiki Banyan is often mentioned at $10/day on this forum. The parking lot at the Hale Koa hotel is also more affordable.

2 days car rental vs 3 1/2 days? Not a big deal unless you are on a starving student budget.

Use the Bus? You can see a lot of Oahu, but it does eat time.

Good luck to you~~~~~~~~~~

Edited: 29 April 2012, 03:53
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest transportation from HNL to Sheraton Waikiki

Rent a car the entire time.

By the time you pay for airport transportation, cabs, buses & car rental for a day or two, you won't have saved any $$ anyway.

You can see the island much better with a car.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, maps, websites, etc.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,289 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest transportation from HNL to Sheraton Waikiki

Rent the car....

Honolulu only covers about 10 to 15 percent of a fantastically beautiful island.

Although there is much to see in town for weeks by walking or bus.

The Sheraton charges a mandatory resort fee of almost $27 per room per day. It includes self-parking., unless they have made a recent change.

(Check with hotel to verify).

So you might as well take advantage of it.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest transportation from HNL to Sheraton Waikiki

Thanks guys. Based on majority opinion I booked a rental car for only $100 for 4 days from enterprise.

One more thing, which is the best beach in Oahu for white sand and blue water (the one you see in movies :P).?

Also, since we both are non swimmers, will we able to take surfing lessons from the surf school?

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest transportation from HNL to Sheraton Waikiki

Kailua Beach for us, but others will mention g-r-e-a-t alternatives.

Can't comment on your surfing question.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest transportation from HNL to Sheraton Waikiki

Waimanalo Bay Recreation Area has a great white sand beach.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest transportation from HNL to Sheraton Waikiki

Sonal, we always go to Laniaki Beach, which is real close to Kailua Beach. Both are great.