We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-Hour Layover - What to do?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
337 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3-Hour Layover - What to do?

Hi all,

My wife and I will be arriving at HNL at 1:00pm on 9/16 and our connecting flight to LIH isn't until 6:47pm. So, we thought it might be an excellent opportunity to rent a car for a few hours and grab a bite to eat and do some quick sightseeing. Is this possible? If so, can you give me a suggested layover itinerary including a nice place to grab some food with a view? very greatful! Mahalo.

Paradise Cove Luau
929 reviews
from US$ 92.00*
Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by...
89 reviews
from US$ 85.88*
Pearl Harbor Tour From Honolulu
119 reviews
from US$ 42.93*
Big Island Day Trip: Volcanoes...
419 reviews
from US$ 467.28*
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,069 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-Hour Layover - What to do?

That's longer than 3 hours -- but when you figure that you have to get back to the airport by 5:15 ish ... well, it cuts into your time.

First question: Will your bags be checked all the way through to Lihue? In others words, you aren't going to be dragging your bags around for any reason ... yes?

What I would do is grab a cab and go to the Aloha Tower Marketplace. Not too far from the airport ... and you can get a nice meal, poke around ... gawk at the scenery ... and stretch your legs. Grab a cab and go back to the airport.

I would not hassle with a car. And I would not go all the way into Waikiki in that short time-frame.

http://www.alohatower.com/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-Hour Layover - What to do?

Thanks! Yes, our bags will be checked through to Kauai. (Minus a couple of carryons). I estimated 3 hours of actual out of airport time factoring in deplaning and going back through security and checking in.

you think taxi is better? It's $60 for rental. I always factor about $30 one-way taxi fare when I travel. I like the freedom of a rental car in case we want to take a detour.

Your suggestion sounds promising! Open to any others as well. Mahalo!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-Hour Layover - What to do?

If you have your bags checked through and a boarding pass in hand (or a code to print one out at an airport kiosk), you can safely be back at the airport by 6:00 and have no problem at all. The interisland terminal is all but dead by that time in the evening and there won't be long security lines.

I would follow BLBL's advice and head Downtown.

You could take the bus there, 1/2 hour and $2.50 per person, or a cab at about $20 (12 to 15 minutes).

Walk around the Capitol District (Iolani Palace, State Capitol, Honolulu city hall, historic buildings, statues, etc.) and Chinatown. They are all along a one mile stretch of King Street. Diverse, safe, interesting with beautiful trees.

Then walk three blocks down to the waterfront and Aloha Tower Marketplace to look around and grab a bite. I would recommend Gordon Biersch; on the water, their own beer, good selection of food.

Then take a cab back to the airport.

See these websites:

www.honolulu.gov/moca/historichonolulu.htm

http://chinatownhi.techmonde.net/

http://www.alohatower.com/

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,069 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-Hour Layover - What to do?

I wouldn't mess with a car. It will eat into your time ... and a cab to/from the Aloha Marketplace shouldn't be more than $60 -- even with tip.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,178 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-Hour Layover - What to do?

Is there any reason why you are not taking an earlier Inter-Island flight???

Hawaiian has at least 4 earlier flights that would get you into LIH sooner.You are going to have a long day.

I would pay a change fee.. go on the 2:30 ish flight over (Same cost probably as the Taxi fare to Aloha Marketplace)

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-Hour Layover - What to do?

If you belong to a major car rental club (Avis, Hertz, National) the process is pretty quick.

I think I would go to the House Without a Key, Duke's or the Hau Tree Lanai for lunch and a drink and then maybe drive to Iolani Palace on the way back to the airport.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-Hour Layover - What to do?

Wanderlust,

We bought my wife's ticket using miles, so we can't get an earlier prime departure...unless we pay for another ticket.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,069 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-Hour Layover - What to do?

Cue -- this is an opportunity! Go for it ...

9. Re: 3-Hour Layover - What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2011, 14:46