We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Walk From Outrigger Reef To Outrigger Waikiki ... plus

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
The Walk From Outrigger Reef To Outrigger Waikiki ... plus

My sister and I have both stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki at different times, and love it. I visited the Outrigger Reef when it was being renovated. I hear the latter (Reef) is much the nicer now with the updating. I really enjoy the restaurants at the Outrigger Waikiki, but the pool is smaller and crowded with few chairs though it does face the ocean. The rooms at the O. W. 18 months ago did not feel that "dated" to me ... they were fine, and immaculate but I understand the Reef rooms are lovely, large, super-new feeling, which is tempting. The rocky beach is not a problem at the Reef as I don't go into the ocean that much, and prefer Kuhio Beach area.

I'm thinking of staying at the Reef, and walking to the restaurants and beach area at the O. Waikiki. That's a very short walk as I remember??? What do you think, guys??? :-) The rates are about equal, last time I looked.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Walk From Outrigger Reef To Outrigger Waikiki ... plus

Short walk ... down the Beach Walk to Kalakaua ... 10 minutes unless you are sucked into a store! Not a big deal.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Walk From Outrigger Reef To Outrigger Waikiki ... plus

walk along the beach!

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Walk From Outrigger Reef To Outrigger Waikiki ... plus

Hi Arabella,

Sounds to me like you are very happy with the OW and the surrounding area... why then consider the Reef if you will get up everyday and head to the OW anyways! LOL

I haven't stayed at either but know exactly where both are located and the walk between them is definitely do-able.

Good luck with your decision... you will have a wonderful time regardless!

Aloha :)

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Walk From Outrigger Reef To Outrigger Waikiki ... plus

For convenience and as HawaiiGirl stated, all indication points to the Outrigger Waikiki Main, so why the decision.

There is alot more to do from the Outr Waikiki. You double the distance for everything that you want to do going the opposite way towards Diamond Head. Why not keep Outr Waikiki central.

My thoughts ........

Portland
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Walk From Outrigger Reef To Outrigger Waikiki ... plus

I haven't stayed at the Reef since it's remodel, but, even before then, I loved it. There's a lot to be said for being that close to DeRussey Park (quiet place for reading a book, or enjoying a picnic) and their on-site restaurants are all good. I LOVE Ocean House Resaurant. Shorebird is a fun place for drinks. The pool area is nice with another cafe and bar right there. You will also be close to all the new shops and restaurants on Lewers.

Treat yourself to a massage next door at the beautiful Halekulani.

Even if you do decide that all future visits will be at the O.W. I really don't think you'll be at all disappointed in trying something new.

Please let us all know what you decide.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Walk From Outrigger Reef To Outrigger Waikiki ... plus

Guys, I'm being seduced by the idea of brand-spanking new rooms and the larger, newer pool area (with lots of chairs) at the Reef ... All the reviewers rave about their new rooms now!

I really appreciate the input from all of you. My DH LOVES the location of the O. W., with having the Moana Surf Rider Beach Bar right next door ... we have to go there every afternoon or evening! :-) We'll probably stay with the Outrigger Waikiki, but I am sorely tempted by the Reef ... Any other opinions are welcome ...

Thanks again ...

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,928 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Walk From Outrigger Reef To Outrigger Waikiki ... plus

I would stay at the Reef. You might discover that the shopping and dining is nicer on that end of Waikiki.... It is definitely a nicer location than the OW.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
434 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Walk From Outrigger Reef To Outrigger Waikiki ... plus

Its a mini walk along the beach, can be a hot one during the day though. Have u considered spending a few days in each ? Dont let the pool sway your decision....its Waikiki beach out front remember ?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,960 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Walk From Outrigger Reef To Outrigger Waikiki ... plus

5 minute walk along the beach at the most.

There are only 3 hotels between the two Outriggers. Halekulani, Sheraton Waikiki & Royal Hawaiian.

10. Re: The Walk From Outrigger Reef To Outrigger Waikiki ... plus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2010, 10:47