We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon cell phone - will it work on Oahu and Maui?

Victor, New York
Level Contributor
405 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Verizon cell phone - will it work on Oahu and Maui?

Will my verizon cell phone work there? Just trying to decide if I need to puy a long distance calling card for while we are there.

Michigan
Level Contributor
405 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Verizon cell phone - will it work on Oahu and Maui?

I have sprint and called them and I should have no problem in Oahu. Maui has few dead spots. I would suggest you call verizon with the zip code of your hotel and they can tell you if there is service in that area.

Vallejo, California
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Verizon cell phone - will it work on Oahu and Maui?

you can go to verizon wireless' website and they have coverage maps. Most wireless phone companies have similar coverage maps so for people with different companies, consult the providers website.

For you, upstategal, copy/past this address into your Address box:

verizonwireless.com/b2c/…index.jsp

Click on Plans - Coverage Locator

At the bottom, type in the name of the city or cities in Hawaii, then select HI

Click on Display Map

You will see a map of Verizon's coverage on the Hawaiian Islands - your phone won't work everywhere, but it works in plenty of places.

LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Verizon cell phone - will it work on Oahu and Maui?

Upstate New York,

The answer is yes...

I've been with Verizon since day one for many years now, besides Hawaii is the 50th state in the union with all of the latest technos too... All calling plans work there. Try punching in *611 on your cell if you need more answers to your account. Verizonwireless.com, *228, or 1 (866) 396-7444.

mahalo...

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verizon cell phone - will it work on Oahu and Maui?

I've taken my Verizon phone to Maui and to the Big Island with no interruption in service. In fact, I was chatting with my Dad on my phone last year on the Big Island as we drove from Hilo through Waimea back to Waikoloa - we were in some remote areas and my phone worked fine.

My husband (at the time) had T-Mobile. His phone had no service on the Big Island - anywhere. That has happened to him all too many times now, so he's since switched to Verizon...

If I had Verizon service in the middle of nowhere on the B.I., I'd guess you'll be fine on Oahu. Maui wasn't a problem either - I just can't speak for ALL of Maui. I left my phone at the condo when we went to Hana, so I don't know if it would've worked there...

New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Verizon cell phone - will it work on Oahu and Maui?

How do you avoid roaming charges? Can I call Verizon and ask them to let me call locally from Hawaii for a period of time?

Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Verizon cell phone - will it work on Oahu and Maui?

I never undersood people who took their mobile phone away on holidays!

Just my 2 cents worth!

:)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verizon cell phone - will it work on Oahu and Maui?

You could absolutely call and ask. You may also want to look into a nationwide calling plan if you travel outside your area. I took my verizon phone to Hawaii (and to answer the other question, I take it with me for safety reasons when driving and to call travel companies I am booked with to avoid the high priced hotel calls) and had no problems on Oahu, Maui or Kauai with service.

Hi Desert, Cali
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Verizon cell phone - will it work on Oahu and Maui?

Hey Upstategal,

You should have no trouble at all if you make sure you update the roaming on your cell phone when you get to Maui. I think all you have to do is Press *228 then press opt 2. This will update your roaming on your phone and you should be good to go.

I know this because I just updated my calling plan so I wont be roaming in Maui. They told me to do this same procedure when I get there. You might want to call and make sure you will not be roaming when you make calls from Maui. If you do roam, I think it is almost $0.70 cents a minute.

Hope this helps.

MR bongo