We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu HRW late July w/6&3YOgirls / to-do & to-eat suggestions

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Oahu HRW late July w/6&3YOgirls / to-do & to-eat suggestions

With a Costco package, from SF Bay Area. Staying at HRW with daily breakfast included. We don’t hv a rental car booked yet (not sure if we want to do long drive with the girls yet.) need Kids appropriate suggestions on what to do and place to eat. (Hubby) would prefer a less packed trip, n would spend some afternoon at the pool / near by beach.

Dole plantation?

Meet the dophine?

Zoo?

Luau? Which one? Disney one?

Kid’s club @ the hotel?

Diamond head hike (would the lil one be able to do it?) (shuttle from the hotel?)

Many thanks!!!

10 replies to this topic
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,746 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Oahu HRW late July w/6&3YOgirls / to-do & to-eat suggestions

The Dole Plantation is super over-hyped and super over-advertised. Unless you are in the area and need a potty stop or cold drink, I'd skip it. They may have something for the littles, but I would not drive out there just for that.

HRW means??

Meet the dolphins? ... no.

Zoo? Yes! In the morning. And it's not too far from the smallish aquarium, too.

http://honoluluzoo.org Your girls may been to young for the programs ... or not ...

If Disney has an age-appropriate luau ... sure.

It's up to you if you want to carry the kids up Diamond Head. (??) If you do - go early morning when its cooler. ** Do you have good, real maps of Oahu? A travel guidebook or two?

Edited: 11 June 2018, 01:26
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,716 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Oahu HRW late July w/6&3YOgirls / to-do & to-eat suggestions

Yes, what is Hrw? Almost anywhere you eat in Waikiki will be family friendly, all of Oahu really!! If your girls don't mind long walks and hiking they are old enough to go to Diamond Head. I certainly wouldn't carry any kids up. My kids when they were those ages were very capable of doing that type of thing on their own!!

Young kids enjoy the Dole Plantation. Do the maze, feed the koi fish and take the train. Learn how pineapple grows at the same time. An hour or two is plenty.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 01:38
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Oahu HRW late July w/6&3YOgirls / to-do & to-eat suggestions

I totally agree that Dole Plantation is a tourist trap with a twist of pineapple sauce, but traveling with a 6/3 year old I think I might just put it on the agenda.

Things they may enjoy there:

- The maze (real fun for kids & adults who want to be a child)

- A train ride good for a 3 & 6 year olds

- A large pineapple for a photo opportunity

- Various pineapples that allow for a little discussion and education of the fruit

- Dole whip (pineapple plavored desert)

The place is also filled with touristy pineapple gewgaws and trinkets that may be fun for children as well.

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
4. Re: Oahu HRW late July w/6&3YOgirls / to-do & to-eat suggestions

Likely....

Hyatt Regency Waikiki.

Tip: Dont eat at poolside restaurant. The food is very not good and waaaay over-priced.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
41 posts
5. Re: Oahu HRW late July w/6&3YOgirls / to-do & to-eat suggestions

Yes Hyatt Ragency Waikiki

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,746 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Oahu HRW late July w/6&3YOgirls / to-do & to-eat suggestions

Ding, ding, ding ... the prize goes to Amberloo!

I'm staying at the HRW in November ...

OK - so I stand by my comments re: the Dole Plantation - given that you are staying on Waikiki. But if you are driving by ... no harm, no foul.

Disney luau - could be fun, but be cognizant of the drive. It'll take you around an hour to and from. But if you want to do it ... make your reservations pronto. Same with the character breakfast. Be mindful of their policies re: non-guests. Given that you are so (relatively) close to D-Land ... it may not be a big deal.

But you can catch music and hula all over Waikiki. No kidding.

A couple more things:

+ It would be well worth your time to scroll down this (Oahu) Forum and take notes. Just yesterday we were talking about good restaurants with kids.

+ Pick up a copy of the StarAdvertiser (Honolulu newspaper) daily. Not only great for news, weather and such ... but they do a great job announcing/discussing/explaining special events (there is always something going on). The Hyatt may deliver this to your door daily - but if not, you can buy one at the ABC Store downstairs.

Feel free to post a rough itinerary.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
41 posts
7. Re: Oahu HRW late July w/6&3YOgirls / to-do & to-eat suggestions

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
41 posts
8. Re: Oahu HRW late July w/6&3YOgirls / to-do & to-eat suggestions

Thanks!

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
37 reviews
9. Re: Oahu HRW late July w/6&3YOgirls / to-do & to-eat suggestions

If you want to see dolphins, book a trip with Hawaiian Nautical. You cant swim with them as they follow the laws. Your girls will enjoy the trip on the catamaran.

Do the zoo and aquarium

Take in the free hula around waikiki

You will find that you spend a lot of time at the beach. That's perfectly fine...

Enjoy yourself

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,246 posts
432 reviews
10. Re: Oahu HRW late July w/6&3YOgirls / to-do & to-eat suggestions

The Honolulu Zoo is charming. Do check ages allowed on the catamaran rides.

For food, do a night at The House Without A Key for mom & dad, there is plenty on the menu for kids, but it is a great setting.

Reply to: Oahu HRW late July w/6&3YOgirls / to-do & to-eat suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted