We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Diamond Head

4 posts
Hiking Diamond Head

I will be in Oahu later this year and one of the things I want to do is go to the top of Diamond Head. I have heard that the view is spectacular. I am not a "youngster" anymore and I am wondering if I would be able to do it. I think if I can go at my own pace I probably could. Can anyone tell me weather you have to keep up with the others who are climbing up there or if I could pause along the way if I need to.

12 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
124 reviews
1. Re: Hiking Diamond Head

Steep steps in part but you can take your time.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,111 posts
109 reviews
2. Re: Hiking Diamond Head

Go early in the morning, before it gets too hot up there. And take water! Lots of people will be passing you, in both directions. People are really good about letting others get by, as it does get narrow in some parts too. And yes, the views are spectacular!

Will you be using the bus to get out there? If you have a rental car, you won't have to walk nearly as far. The bus stop is out on the road, and you will have to walk a ways before you actually start the climb.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Hiking Diamond Head

Diamond Head in many parts is more of a walk than a hike. Yes, even for me. But, there are places with steep steps and it can get you worn out.

Plenty of places to let people pass.

While you may not be young and fit, I’m sure you won’t being wearing high heels. Yes, I can’t tell you how many times we have seen Asian girls doing the walk in heels. I kid you not.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Hiking Diamond Head

If you have bad knees, take your time. There is now a trail you can take instead of the steepest stair area, take that instead. Yes, you will be able to move off to the side. You'll notice it's actually harder going down than it is going up. Do go as early as possible.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Hiking Diamond Head

J0an123 Tks for the info. I will be using the bus to get there.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 20:44
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Hiking Diamond Head

Tks fisdiva. I wasn't aware there was a trail. Will probably opt to use that.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,562 posts
435 reviews
7. Re: Hiking Diamond Head

Carol M, welcome to the forums.

My father was 82 the last time he did it. He probably still could at 88, but has done enough times that not even the grandkids can drag him up it anymore.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,910 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Hiking Diamond Head

LOL, not just "young Asian girls"..................here's the 'dress code' for hiking Diamond Head:

hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38384972/planning-to…

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
17,089 posts
9. Re: Hiking Diamond Head

I did it two weeks ago and I'm almost 70, I have double knee replacement, spinal back fusion, two hernia surgeries, a-fib, 4 stents, I;m over weight, and I'm ugly. My two friends (husband and wife) turned around at the the first tunnel (he is claustrophobic) after they had been setting the pace. I didn't buy the t-shirt because I was too tired.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,910 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Hiking Diamond Head

Hitch, did you wear stilettos, or wedge heels?

Reply to: Hiking Diamond Head
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted