We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13 Nights - Split Stay?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
13 Nights - Split Stay?

Hi Coming to Honolulu for 13 nights late Nov/Early Dec for first time.

Weighing up option of staying at the one property for the whole duration or splitting it between two properties? Perhaps splurging alittle more on one to get water view and 'cheaper' on the other.

Initial budgeting is approx 250USD excluding any taxes and fees per night.

Thoughts? TIA

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
9 replies to this topic
Belmar, New Jersey
Level Contributor
217 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 13 Nights - Split Stay?

We will be going to Oahu for the first time in August, staying for 14 nights. We decided to split our stay between Hyatt Regency and Aulani. We’re staying on points which is why I chose those resorts.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Aulani, a Disney Resort...
5,867 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13 Nights - Split Stay?

If you don’t mind packing up and moving from one hotel to another then go for a change of venue. If you want to unpack and settle in then go ahead and stay at one place.

If you splerge on one hotel vs. another then I suggest doing the better hotel second. It is always easier to move up in accommodations than it is to move Dow.

Enjoy the planning stage of your vacation.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 13 Nights - Split Stay?

Thanks for the suggestion of staying at the better one last!

Definitely don't mind the pack up and move so I think we will go with that option. Now to work out which hotels to stay at.

i will check out the Hyatt. Probably not as keen on the Aulani

Mentioned in this post
5,867 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 13 Nights - Split Stay?

What is it you're wanting to do when you get here?

I certainly wouldn't want to split between two accommodations within Waikiki, for instance. It's a very small part of Honolulu and you really aren't going to get much difference by moving from one hotel to the other down there to make it worth the hassle of checking out, schlepping all your stuff to the other hotel, and checking back in again.

If you want to split so you can stay on another part of the island, that would be different. The resorts in Ko'Olina (of which Aulani is one), for instance, are on the western side of the island facing several beautiful lagoons. It's a nice area but a little remote from the rest of the island, but nice if you wanted to spend a few days just chilling in one area and enjoying the beach.

Then there's Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore. The surf will probably be too large up there to make the swimming reliable (but they do have a fairly protected cove) but it's also in a gorgeous area and, again...quiet and a totally different vibe from Waikiki.

So the tl;dr is: if you are wanting to split to see another part of the island, go forth! If you are wanting to split just for the heck of it in Waikiki, I'd thumbsdown. (only exception might be if you go super-saver on your first hotel so you have extra put into the budget to spring for something really extra nice for a few nights like the Royal Hawaiian or something).

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
5,867 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,859 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,061 Reviews
Oahu, HI
starsparkles
Level Contributor
273 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 13 Nights - Split Stay?

with that much time, why not visit a different island? they're each unique and offer a different feel and different scenery. whereas waikiki is similar to gold coast (but far more shopping and more squished together) the scenery of Princeville in Kauai or the Kohala coast are like nothing you can get in OZ. if you're packing up anyway, and seeking a change of scenery, you may like to experience a new island, where they also have great hotels and dining and shopping but more space and natural beauty along with your beach.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
344 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 13 Nights - Split Stay?

I would split. I love the KoOlina area.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,669 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 13 Nights - Split Stay?

NH ... will you be renting a car? It makes a big difference in what will work for you.

The vast, vast majority of accommodations are in the Waikiki District of the City of Honolulu. There are a handful of resorts sprinkled around other parts of the Island ... but I would not attempt them without a car (and your budget may be low).

If I had 13 nights ... I would be tempted to visit Maui and Oahu. You would fly between them, and the process consumes about a 1/2 day.

I generally travel after American Thanksgiving through the first couple weeks of December.

I wouldn't change accommodations unless I really needed to. Especially that time of year, sometimes "some" hotels offer a free night with 4 or 5 paid. Waikiki is a smallish area, and changing accommodations may not give you much.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 05:30
Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,757 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 13 Nights - Split Stay?

I agree with BLBL!

Are you thinking about renting a car? If not, you are pretty much limited to Waikiki. Though, if it is within your budget, nothing wrong with Ko'Olina or Turtle Bay or elsewhere for a 2-3 days. Without a car, you are pretty much stuck at Ko'Olina. But you could take The Bus from place to place from Turtle Bay.

You can easily split Waikiki with 7 days on one side of Waikiki then 6 days on the other side.

Last stay was at Waikiki Sunset for a week. It was a nice one bedroom condo through Koko Resorts. Came to $150/night with all fees. Parking was included and no resort fees. No Cleaning fees then, but they have added a one time cleaning fee since. Captain Cook Resorts is similar.

Not much of a view from Waikiki Sunset, but OK.

So you could spend a week in a condo on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki and almost a week at the other end of Waikiki.

http://www.kokoresorts.com/

https://www.captaincookresorts.com/

Captain Cook Resorts has several properties to choose from including Ilikai which has a great view overlooking the boat harbor.

As does this company:

http://www.waikikibeachrentals.com/

Edited: 10 June 2018, 06:44
Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,859 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
153 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 13 Nights - Split Stay?

Thanks for all the suggestions. We will hire a car, but not for whole duration. Unsure exactly how many days we will hire for at this stage. Will probably work out itinerary alittle more and decide what we need it for

Reply to: 13 Nights - Split Stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted