We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Na Pali Coast vs Molokini?

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
552 posts
21 reviews
Na Pali Coast vs Molokini?

Which is the better excursion option as far as views, snorkeling, wild life sightings, experience, etc? Just DW and myself traveling, this will be our first time in Kauai and second time in Maui and I can't decide where we should do our daysail.

Maui
Level Contributor
72,132 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Na Pali Coast vs Molokini?

I can't think of two less comparable things, to be honest!

Molokini is overused, overrated, and not worth it, though :-).

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
15,085 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Na Pali Coast vs Molokini?

Completely different things. I would pick Na Pali Coast in a second. It is so beautiful and has amazing scenery. You will only see it by boat or helicopter. The snorkeling isn't great but ok. We often have seen dolphins and monk seals on our Na Pali trips as well. Molokini you are out on the water but will not get the fantastic views. The snorkeling is meh...way overused. You really should see the Na Pali Coast. Have you looked at pictures? And pictures just don't do it justice.

Edited: 06 December 2015, 01:08
Iowa
Level Contributor
14,231 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Na Pali Coast vs Molokini?

Agree with TB 4 100%!! Do Napali Coast!

However... If you will be on Maui during whale season, later December- early April, I would also do a whale watch tour. The humpbacks are amazing! You may see some on your Napali trip, but a dedicated whale watch off of Maui is so worth it! Its a shorter trip so less pricy. Usually $25-50/person.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,113 posts
109 reviews
4. Re: Na Pali Coast vs Molokini?

What time of year are you traveling? Na Pali coast is the winner, no contest. But be aware that depending on the time of year, they do cancel the boat trips out there, due to weather. So do book the tour to Na Pali early in the time you are there. That way, you have a better chance of rebooking it, if necessary.

We lost out twice, because of weather. Thunder and lightening one day, and the next day, though beautiful blue skies, the coast had 30 foot swells. We ran out of time to book it again, so never made it out there.

A helicopter tour would be another option to see the Na Pali coast.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Na Pali Coast vs Molokini?

We were there in early Nov. Did both. we never made it to Molokini because of high seas. actually we were a bit miffed because they, took our money, started boat ride, and soon after we left announced they could not get to Molokini. They ended up with two snorkel sites just off Lahaina. We were pretty sure they knew they could not make it before we left.

A few days later we were at Poipu on Kauai. Wife and daughter and her boy friend joined us there. Seas were up a bit but not too bad. they were not able to snorkel off Na Pali coast, but they did on early part of boat ride. I did not go because I do not snorkel and had made that trip a couple of times before. saved a few bucks.

Na Pali coast is very interesting and scenic trip even if you do not snorkel.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
15,085 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Na Pali Coast vs Molokini?

Great point phirl.... the Molokini trip gets cancelled prob just as much or they go to their back up sites.

Still think there is not a comparison between the two.

Edited: 06 December 2015, 03:11
Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Na Pali Coast vs Molokini?

Any time you do a boat tour during the winter months there is a possibility it could get cancelled. The Na Pali Coast is pretty iffy in the winter months. The scenery can't be beat though. Hopefully you are coming during the summer? If so, no problem!!

Personally, I would try to do both, Na Pali for the scenery and Molokini for the snorkel. I'm one of the few who happen to have been out to Molokini numerous times during winter, summer, fall and spring and was lucky enough never to have run into a cancellation. True, not as many fish as other places but the clarity of the water can't be beat anywhere else on Maui. The boat trip is fun and the scenery isn't bad with Haleakala looming in the distance.

If you can only do one, and the weather isn't a concern, I would go on the Na Pali tour.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
8. Re: Na Pali Coast vs Molokini?

Nothing in Hawaii compares to the Na Pali Coast. FWIW, we liked the boat trip better than the chopper. Both a great.

"True, not as many fish as other places but the clarity of the water can't be beat anywhere else on Maui."

What good is there in clearer water when there is so much less to see? Attached is an example of what you can see with the Maui's typical lousy water quality.

https://goo.gl/5EdwVG

Edited: 06 December 2015, 04:00
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
15,085 posts
47 reviews
9. Re: Na Pali Coast vs Molokini?

So true Patrick! I go snorkeling to see fish, turtles, octopus, coral and many other things. I've had great luck with clarity off Maui's shores and Lanai. Speaking of a good "snorkel" trip, Lanai is my favorite snorkel tour off Maui.

Thanks for showing your pics again Patrick! Can't wait.. Less than 2 weeks for me now and your pictures are getting me excited!

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
552 posts
21 reviews
10. Re: Na Pali Coast vs Molokini?

Thank you all for your responses. We will be traveling to Kauai the week of Christmas and then heading over to Maui the following week for New Years.