We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Draft Itinerary for 5 days in Maui - Feedback Appreciated

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Draft Itinerary for 5 days in Maui - Feedback Appreciated

Hello -

Husband, teen daughter, and I are planning to visit Maui this summer after we stay for a week or so on Big Island. This is our first visit to the state of Hawaii.

I've worked out this itinerary based on travel books and the advice of a few other visitors to Maui I know personally. I like to identify one main thing per day and let the rest of the day unfold as it will. Please let me know online or by message if you think there is something different we should consider. Thank you!

Monday: Catch late afternoon flight from Kona to Maui airport. Pick up rental car. Check into rented condo at Kamaole Beach Royale in Kihei.

Tuesday: Lahaina and the Old Lahaina Luau

Wednesday: Discover Hawaii Tours – the Road to Hana…all day

Thursday: Beach, explore

Friday: Beach, explore

Saturday: Beach, explore. Catch 9:30 pm flight from Kahului Airport (OGG) back to the mainland.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
19,577 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Draft Itinerary for 5 days in Maui - Feedback Appreciated

Only ONE week for the very big Big Island?

On Maui -- Include Iao Valley (an hour or two); Haleakala and Upcountry w/some time in Paia; Drive up to the 'top' at Kapaula; Drive past Makena in South Maui to where the bare lava meets the blue sea; Visit Maui Ocean Center in Maalaea; Gawk at the posh hotels in Wailea and stop in at Shops At Wailea. Reschedule so that you don't have the luau and the Road to Hana back to back. Spend a little time on Front Street in Lahaina. Many people do RTH on their own.

unict
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Draft Itinerary for 5 days in Maui - Feedback Appreciated

A few things to think of adding while you're on Maui -

Iao Valley, La Perousse Bay, Haleakala, snorkeling, sunset cruise

Spooner, Haleakala is a dormant volcano on Maui. The active one is on Hawaii.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Draft Itinerary for 5 days in Maui - Feedback Appreciated

Thanks to everyone for your very useful advice. We are now going to drive the RTH ourselves and include the upcountry and Haleakala--and make sure the luau doesn't come before an early morning event. Thanks so much!

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
70 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Draft Itinerary for 5 days in Maui - Feedback Appreciated

That's a good idea to do the road to Hana on your own. You can rent this great CD that gives you pointers step by step- called gypsy tours. There are a lot of winding roads and curves and definate chance of getting motion sickness. At least if you do it on your own it can be on your own terms. Make sure to get banana bread on your way- its yummy :)

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Draft Itinerary for 5 days in Maui - Feedback Appreciated

pisces2244, thanks - do you recall where I could rent the CD?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Draft Itinerary for 5 days in Maui - Feedback Appreciated

Get a lei getting when you land. It sets the atmosphere for your visit. Sunset sail on a catamaran. Rest looks great to me. Mahalo, m

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
41,309 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Draft Itinerary for 5 days in Maui - Feedback Appreciated

The Gypsy Guide isn't a CD, more like a gps system that has a narrative. Here is a link to their web-site. You can also get great info about Hana be going to the Hana Forum and checking at the Top Questions and menu's on that page.

www.gypsyguide.com/maui/

18. Re: Draft Itinerary for 5 days in Maui - Feedback Appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 16:48