We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trail to Fish Bowl

bg washington
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trail to Fish Bowl

Read of some trails being closed in the Ahii area. Does anyone know if access to Fish Bowl has been restricted. Will be arriving in 10 days and would love to take our visitors across the lava to this wonderful spot.

Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Trail to Fish Bowl

My friends and I visited the Fish Bowl on June 22nd, 2008. We parked in the parking lot and walked up the road about one mile before we found the trail. One has to know where the trail starts to find it because the entrance has been blocked by large boulders. One of my friends has been there many times and knew exactly where to find it. Not many people walked the trail, but everyone who did followed the trail and did not litter or damage the area. All the snorklers that day were respectful and did not walk on or touch the coral rocks and no one fed the fish. It was a joy to swim with these beautiful fish. It is a very difficult walk, but well worth the trip. I heard there are plans to legally close the place to the public in August of this year.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,434 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Trail to Fish Bowl

I do not understand why anyone would encourage people to go (well worth the trip), when the path has been blocked by boulders which sort of screams PLEASE STAY OUT. Respectful in your snorkeling perhaps, but walking past a barrier is, in itself, disrespectful, whether or not you meant it that way.

No doubt the only reason the closure is not until August is that such things have to be done with some notice. The fact they made the call to close it says that it should not be visited now -- not that everyone should run out and see it before it closes.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Trail to Fish Bowl

There was a remark several pages back about "fake no tresspassing signs" on DHHL land. I'm sorry. I thought Hawaiian Homelands were NOT "public property"???

http://hawaii.gov/dhhl

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Trail to Fish Bowl

the area is totaly closed for a min of 2 years.. to all whether jerks or sensitive eco-lovers.

The problem is that like somany places in Hawaii, it has been loved to death.

After 2 years the state may opt to renew another 2 years closure

There is no such thing as a gentle sensitive foot on the land.... everyperson leaves a lasting mark....no matter our orientation. Time to avoid this palce for years to come.....it will be closed.

Time to show your ethics and respect.

Huahine, French...
Level Contributor
755 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Trail to Fish Bowl

no need for the lecture

we all recognize that it's closed for 2 years and that we should not visit the Ahihi-Kinau Natural Reserve

but it's just funny how some mainland transplants, now "locals," act (at least through this forum) like they own the islands all of a sudden under the guise of environmental protectionist. maybe they've forgotten that they were tourists once too and were curious as to certain less-known spots. so unless you're a native hawaiian, please don't insultingly lecture everyone here as if we're all bumbling idiots. is it any wonder why some "haoles" are reviled nearly as much as the Maui Revealed authors?!?!

Getting back on point: all of us Hawaiian visitors should try to leave as little environmental impact as possible on the remaining beautiful spots open to the public, and even attempt to teach less informed individuals, so that we may enjoy the natural beauty of such places for many years to come. It would be a shame if every beautiful spot was eventually closed or restricted to paid "guided" excursions.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,434 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Trail to Fish Bowl

major and inaccurate assumptions here about who posters are and what they believe ...

but it's just funny how some mainland transplants, now "locals," act (at least through this forum) like they own the islands all of a sudden under the guise of environmental protectionist. maybe they've forgotten that they were tourists once too and were curious as to certain less-known spots. so unless you're a native hawaiian, please don't insultingly lecture everyone here as if we're all bumbling idiots. is it any wonder why some "haoles" are reviled nearly as much as the Maui Revealed authors?!?!

but no matter, I responded to say that the notion that anyone has to be Native Hawaiian to encourage conservation of resources is crazy. Visitor, resident, or even if you never visited and still care, all have a right to care whether the reserves here are cared for.

A couple corrections ...

I moved here from the mainland. I do NOT ever call myself a "local" because I know what the term properly means. Many true locals are not Native Hawaiians but to say that having Filipino or Japanese heritage (as examples) disqualifies you from caring for the 'aina even though your family has lived here for generations, is just wrong.

I don't forget what it was like to be a visitor. I have a good memory. However, I am perfectly honest that when I encountered any kind of manmade barrier or sign I turned around, AS A VISITOR, so I am not being a hypocritical "transplant."

The time for being "respectful" of footprint, in my opinion, was BEFORE, in the time when the place was being trashed. Once they made the call to close it -- RESPECT would be to honor the decision even before the official closure date.

NOT saying that you were one who trashed the place, I don't know you, only how you describe your conduct, which sounds good (other than going around a barrier). You and all the other "good" snorkelers are paying the price for those who weren't. But the place itself paid the real price.

I'm criticizing going on a trail when the trail has been blocked by large boulders, and then advising others it was well worth it to do so. To grasp this point it's not necessary to have some specific heritage.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
47. Re: Trail to Fish Bowl

When I see a large boulder blocking a trail, I assume it's to keep out vehicles like ATVs, and not pedestrians. A sign should be posted.

Huahine, French...
Level Contributor
755 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Trail to Fish Bowl

"Respect" - that's exactly what I'm talking about

We should all respect the land, the closure of the Ahihi-Kinau reserve and respect each other here. I don't think any well-meaning visitors here purposefully disrespect the closure of the trail. But I do think some posters here have shown disrespect to other TA posters with an insinuating/condescending tone. Where's the aloha spirit from such local experts?

It's very good that we can all be educated about the ecological sensitivity or inherent dangers of various interesting sites on the Hawaiian islands here on Tripadvisor. Such discussion can be held without a demeaning manner from a few. "Respect" - that's all I would like to see.

Huahine, French...
Level Contributor
755 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Trail to Fish Bowl

"Time to show your ethics and respect" - Likewise

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Trail to Fish Bowl

It is tiring to keep reading exhortations for people who live in Hawaii to "show Aloha spirit" when they disagree with someone, correct someone's fact or interpretation, sound/read "preachy" or appear "negative" (gasp!).

The "aloha spirit" has nothing to do with coddling visitors no matter what in gratitude for their contributions to the economy. It has nothing to do with "stifling" instead of speaking up as the spirit and conscience moves, when the environment is being degraded.

Here are some contemporary links about "living aloha." Kindness, yes. But also "leave places better than you found them."

http://uhcc.hawaii.edu/aloha/alohaSpirit.php

http://www.ealoha.com/livaloha.htm

My prediction, which I hope is wrong, is that the long Maui threads on pool hopping and, now, Ahihi Kinau, will be joined by ones on "isn't it OK to go to Fish Bowl because I heard they don't have rangers there all the time."

How does one overuse respectfully? And are the respectful people still going there now taking that extra step for aloha and (wearing rubber gloves) packing out the trash and toilet paper the others have left there?

Think I'm making up the tp part? See page 3 of the 2003 document

dofaw.net/nars/files/Ahihi_Kinau_Draft_Plan_…

Yes, 2003. Maui News had a more recent photo this year.