We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore Fishing West Maui

Minnesota
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Shore Fishing West Maui

I have spent hours researching this topic on TA and the WWW but am still looking for specific answers. I apologize for the topic if it seems repetitive.

I will be staying at the Hololani on West Maui with my family in Jan. 2010. Our itinerary does not permit a fishing excursion but I would still like to wet a line for a couple of hours here and there. I am a C&R fisherman and am just looking for a little R&R with a photo op or two to share with the guys when I return home.

If you have any insight into this activity, please help me to answer the questions below.

1) Where is the closest bait/tackle shop to my area that caters to shore fishermen?

2) Are there any shore fishing clubs or perhaps a local willing to point me in the right direction?

3) What is a good size/weight rod & reel? Fishing line?

4) What tackle would be most versatile? Jigs? Plugs? Live Bait?

5) Are there any reasonable casting spots close (walking distance) to my location? Short drive?

6) Where can I find information on edible species and cleaning/cooking if I'm lucky enough to bring something in?

Thanks in advance for your replies! I have found this forum to be a wealth of information and it has become a daily stop for me! January can't come soon enough!!!

San Diego
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Shore Fishing West Maui

I've fished offshore Hawaii for years and have never surf fished. I know a lot of guys who do, go to www.bloodydecks.com Go to "fishing forums" (top left) and click, scroll down to the "Hawaii" section and open it up. Ask all your questions there, The responses will be by local guys who surf fish and deep sea fish daily. Just re-post or ask your question again on the Hawaii forum, you should get plenty of answers.

Good luck!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shore Fishing West Maui

I'll check it out. Thanks for the lead!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,192 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shore Fishing West Maui

I can help with you part of this. We bring our own gear every year to Kauai to shore fish. 8 foot 2 piece rods, they fit in a hard sided golf club carrier (hubby brings a few clubs too). Plus a small tackle box. We live near the ocean so finding a fresh/salt water combo rod/reel was easy at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Spinning reels with 12 – 15 pound line.

Look for a reef or rocky area and fish near the edge. I could give you tons of places on Kauai, but not Maui, sorry.

For bait – white shrimp, frozen calamari (get both at the grocery). This works for both bottom fishing and top fishing with an egg bobber. Eel is good too. Catch one, cut it up, use it for bait. Tuna belly is great if you can get it. Fresh, live octopus too, but it’s expensive.

We’ve had luck with gold colored Kastmaster and Krocodile lures, but it’s hard to keep from getting snagged.

Sand turtles (crabs) you can catch yourself for bait. Stake a wqhole squid down in the sand where the waves will just wash over it. Wait 15 minutes or so and pull the stake up quickly while scooping up the sand around the squid with a net (get at the grocery or Walmart for 4 bucks or less). You’ll see locals doing this. Sorta hard to explain without seeing it done. Good live bait.

Most of the fish you can catch are the same as you’ll see snorkeling. Get a book on Hawaiian fish. I have Hawaii's Fishes : A Guide for Snorkelers, Divers, and Aquarists by John P Hoover. I’ve identified everything we’ve caught (and seen snorkeling). We C & R too, unless there’s locals fishing nearby who want them.

You need to be aware of ciguatera toxin in reef fish:

hawaii.gov/health/…ciguatera.pdf

Anyone can get ciguatera poisoning, but many locals have told us tourists are more susceptible to it because they have not eaten reef fish all their lives. Better to be safe than sorry IMHO.

Most locals will be more than happy to talk “fish” with you. Be ready to share bait, beer and stories.

3Chihuahuas

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shore Fishing West Maui

Aloha MauiFamily,

Directly next door to the North of Hololani there is a pile of rocks and I have many times seen local fisherman there in the evening casting their lines. Don't know what they are catching if anything, but it might be a place for you to start:-)

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shore Fishing West Maui

Hi

When we lived at Polynesian Shores (Polyester Shores) fishermen brought their chairs to the rocky area by unit 101 and fished at night.

Not sure if they were really trying to catch anything or if they were just hiding from their wives. But they never left a mess.

There is a sports shop between Mala Restaurant and Aloha Mixed Plate on Front Street. West Maui Sports & Fishing Supply 808-661-6252 www.westmauisports.com

Don't bring bananas when fishing and spray your hook with perfume are my only fishing tips. Also we don't say we are going fishing because then the fish know we are coming. We just say we are going holo holo.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shore Fishing West Maui

Thanks to all for the great information!!!

7. Re: Shore Fishing West Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 10:48