I have spent hours researching this topic on TA and the WWW but am still looking for specific answers. I apologize for the topic if it seems repetitive.
I will be staying at the Hololani on West Maui with my family in Jan. 2010. Our itinerary does not permit a fishing excursion but I would still like to wet a line for a couple of hours here and there. I am a C&R fisherman and am just looking for a little R&R with a photo op or two to share with the guys when I return home.
If you have any insight into this activity, please help me to answer the questions below.
1) Where is the closest bait/tackle shop to my area that caters to shore fishermen?
2) Are there any shore fishing clubs or perhaps a local willing to point me in the right direction?
3) What is a good size/weight rod & reel? Fishing line?
4) What tackle would be most versatile? Jigs? Plugs? Live Bait?
5) Are there any reasonable casting spots close (walking distance) to my location? Short drive?
6) Where can I find information on edible species and cleaning/cooking if I'm lucky enough to bring something in?
Thanks in advance for your replies! I have found this forum to be a wealth of information and it has become a daily stop for me! January can't come soon enough!!!