We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling "Dumps"

bg washington
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snorkeling "Dumps"

We loved snorkeling at Fish Bowl and were sad to hear that the area had been closed, but can understand the need to protect the environment. Have seen postings about a location called "the Dumps" Is this area located past Ahihi near the rough parking lot before the lava beds? If so, where do you go once you get to the lot? If not, then where is it.

Thanks much; always appreciate info from this site.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling "Dumps"

Yes, the "dumps" is very near the rough parking lot after Ahihi Cove. After you park your car, head toward the ocean across the parking lot. At the end of the parking lot closest to the ocean there will be a trail to your left. Follow this trail until you see a rocky beach. The best place to enter the water is the small black sand area on the left hand side of the beach. A wonderful place to snorkel and you will find it much better than the fishbowl!!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling "Dumps"

Another fun place to snorkel is the left side of the beach in front of the Maui Prince. Lots of turtles!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,315 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling "Dumps"

Aloha msfuzz..welcome back. Thanks for suggesting the dumps. Hadn't been there is several years due to traveling with kids. But after your post in July and Aug about it we went in Sept a couple of times. We had perfect condiditons, calm, sun and clear.

Oregon
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling "Dumps"

IMHO - The Aquarium & Fish Bowl are far above anything else on the island. The next would be Honolua Bay. That's not to say the "Dumps" isn't good, because it can be great and it's one of my favorite spots. If it's clear, you'll really like it.

Assuming you're an experienced snorkeler & conditions permitting - here are some other frequently overlooked, but pretty cool spots:

Little Beach to Black Sand - In that direction and ONLY IF YOU'RE A GREAT SWIMMER - the CURRENT can be FIERCE coming around the point. I saw my first Ray here.

Slaughterhouse to Honolua - Impressive boulders, rock formations and fish (also a strong current around the point.)

Along the Lava Shoreline from Ulua to Wailea Beach - great rock formation, turtles, fish.

Along the Lava Shoreline from Wailea Beach to Polo Beach - again, great rock formation, turtles, fish.

Not that anyone asked or cares, here's my prescription for if & when The Aquarium & Fish Bowl re-open:

1. Limit the number of visitors per day

2. Prohibit swim toys (if you can't control your buoyancy -you shouldn't be there)

3. Mark & establish a trail

4. Post officers on site for direct supervision

5. Issue citations & fines for violations

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
702 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling "Dumps"

We went to The Dumps on Saturday, but couldn't get in because the ocean conditions were terrible everywhere. DLNR has taped off the land but there is still a trail along the shore. The little gazebo is now off limits.

Today, ocean conditions were excellent, but if the rains hit this week-end, visibility will deteriorate again.

Welcome back MsFuzz.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,350 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling "Dumps"

I think a lot of the spots are seasonal--good in calm summer, too rough in winter, especially in the north and the swim round Puu Olai.

bg washington
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling "Dumps"

Thanks for the very informative answer. I'm with family usually and they are not too adventurous, but may try some of your suggestions. We like the Maui Prince in front of the golf course.

bg washington
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling "Dumps"

Like your ideas about limiting the use of Fish Bowl, Aquarium. This would be an excellend opportunity for the parks department to make money and show off this beautiful area. Charge $50 per person with a limit of 20 persons for a 4 hour tour (directed by the parks department), talking about the lava fields on the way to fish bowl and then teaching about proper respect for the environment when using fish bowl.

I'd spend the money and learn at the same time.

9. Re: Snorkeling "Dumps"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 03:47