We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Breakfast Buffet in kaanapali?

midpoint
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Best Breakfast Buffet in kaanapali?

I have seen a few pictures of some of the breakfast buffets in Maui, but I needed suggestions. Anyone have any idea which ones are worth the money?

Thanks in advance.

Haiku
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Breakfast Buffet in kaanapali?

You might consider SKIPPING the $25 breakfast buffets and take a tip from those in the know for west Maui - head to this small, sort of hidden away treasure - The Gazebo Restaurant within the Outrigger Napali Shores Resort, out Hwy 30, the lower part of this road, at 5315 Lower Honoapiilani Rd. Just drive to the back of this condo complex; parking is free. Walk through the pool area and you are there. There is a lovely ocean view of Napali Bay; and the whole operation is housed in a large thatched gazebo; ~ 20 tables. It may not look like much architecturally ... many are not impressed and wary of hotel restaurants, but far more are pleasantly, even ecstatically surprised. Many Foodies rave over this joint. The ambiance, as well as the great food, is what distinguishes this place from the mainland coffee shops. Diners, with many locals scattered throughout, sit outside on a lovely shady terrace.

Go early - only open 7 to 2 - and the lines can start before 7; you may have to wait it you don't arrive until 8. However, Jenny, the owner, and her wait staff are cheerful and fairly efficient so they keep the waiting as short as possible. Although sometimes the line can snake all the way around the pool. Of course, you are in Maui -- you could just relax, graze the coffee station, lounge by the pool, and enjoy the ocean breezes and the morning view.

Yet if you asked the folks who waited for 30-45 minutes - was it worth - they almost all say ABSOLUTELY!

But the FOOD --- many say this was their best meal on Maui; and it is very reasonably priced. You might try their combo pancakes with pineapple, banana and mac nuts with whipped cream/ butterscotch/ maple syrup on top [oh MY !!!!]; or truly scrumpscious omelettes with Maui onion, spinach, cheese, Portuguese sausage, etc.

The other menu items include lunch plates of either BBQ Kalua Pork or Cajun Chicken; plus standard sandwiches such as BLT, Clubhouse, Patty Melt, Monte Cristo, Shrimp Melt & Chicken Breast; 4 types of burgers and speciality salads such as Southwestern Chicken, Caesar, Albacore Tuna, and Shrimp. Or you can order breakfast items anytime as well. Most don't want to miss the pancakes. Good photos at www.mauihawaii.org/restaurants/gazebo.htm

Haiku
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Breakfast Buffet in kaanapali?

IMO ....

Oh one other thing - many hotel breakfast buffets are pricey, from $25+ per adult. For example in south Maui at the Grand Wailea - according to several posts on multiple travel sites - the buffet breakfast is described as nice, but, not spectacular for $27 per person. Many don't know the price because they are staying there and it is part of their package deal, so it is convenient if they don't want to leave the hotel/resort area.

Others feel these buffet prices are steep, esp. for only good quality and OK variety. At Grand Wailea, as at many other hotel buffets, there is an omelette station; also bacon, sausage, breads, desserts, cereal, yogurt, and fresh fruit. The view here is fantastic, but the per bite price ratio may not be worth it. Many might say "save your appetite for all the wonderful lunch and dinner options".

midpoint
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Breakfast Buffet in kaanapali?

Thank you very much for your post.

I actually love going to good local places to eat while Im traveling (I dont think its neccessary to have to pay 20+ for a good meal) However I just figured if Im staying at Kaanapali and have to get breakfast, I might as well figure out which one is the best.

I remember in '03 I ate at Rainbows in Oahu, and I was satisfied :)

If you have any other local food/breakfast suggestions, feel free to post them.

Thanks.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Breakfast Buffet in kaanapali?

Several decent, inexpensive breakfast spots in the Ka'anapali area include: The Castaway Cafe, located at the Maui Ka'anapali Villas near the north end of Ka'anapali beach; and CJ's in the Ka'anapali Fairway shops.

For a grande buffet, IMHO, Swan Court at the Hyatt Regency is worth at least one splurge, if for the setting alone... The Ka'anapali Beach Hotel also has a buffet, as does the Sheraton -- I personally much prefer the Hyatt to the other two choices...

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Breakfast Buffet in kaanapali?

OMG LinakaJoy, you made the Gazebo a definite stop on our trip!

That sounds great and thanks for the link!

My mom and I also like the $1.50 early bird special at Moose McGillycuddy's in Lahaina. I think you have to get there before 8am but it's way better then McDonald's for $1.50 and we LOVED the coffee. They have a bigger plate of breakfast for $5.50. . .but if something light and afforadable is on your menu for the morning I recommend giving this a try. Also like the open seating and watching Lahaina wake-up in the early morning while little birds flew around for bread crumbs. mooserestaurantgroup.com/moose_mc/branch2/

We also LOVED our eggs Benedict at the Blue Lagoon (where we also enjoyed a few happy hour drinks and taco's - Yummy) will be doing both again come October.

monterey
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Breakfast Buffet in kaanapali?

Not long ago someone had posted that the Sheraton had lowered the price of their breakfat buffet to $19. Anyone know if that price is current? Mahalo!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,844 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Breakfast Buffet in kaanapali?

Breakfast buffet at the Sheraton is excellent, as it the setting! I wish I could make omlets like that!

Our favorite is Moose McGilloughcuddy in Lahaina. Generous portions, reasonable prices, a great view and quality ingredients. Love the breakfast quesadillas!

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Breakfast Buffet in kaanapali?

Their website says it's $24.50 for the buffett and $19.95 for the continental breakfast.

sheraton-maui.com/pdf/…202007.pdf

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Breakfast Buffet in kaanapali?

The Westin's ain't bad. $25 pricepoint. Like previously said, the convienence of staying there makes up for it. Lots of choices for food, plus you can sit either next to the pool area or out in front next to the ocean at their nighttime restaurant "tropica". Great setting, looking at the ocean. Better than any of the other hotels on Kaanapali Beach.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Breakfast Buffet in kaanapali?

SWAN COURT at the Hyatt. Very good food, very gorgeous setting overlooking small lake with swans, waterfalls, little birds flying into the restaurant, so quaint! Afterwards check out the parrots, flamingos and penguins at the hotel, my kids loved it! Also there was a long line, we were at the top of the stairs but the line goes really fast, wait was like 10 minutes but I thought it would be 45 min. Have fun, aloha!