We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in the rain?

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
371 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in the rain?

Okay, so I was looking at the 15 day forecast, not that it means anything because it's been completely wrong for a month now, LOL. But it says some sun for a while, and then starting up on April 23 (a week before we're supposed to go), it rains again for days in a row.

So, I want to make a list of things to do inside if it rains the entire time we're there... we are staying in Poipu, but would like suggestions for any part of the island.

thanks!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in the rain?

It rains on some part of ever island almost every day.

Poipu is probably the driest spot on Kauai (though parts of Kauai are the wettest spots on earth).

Most of the time when it rains (except recently which was a freak weather pattern) it is just a passing shower, it is warm rain and then the sun comes out again.

Personally, I would not stay inside even if it was a downpour all day, I would find someplace to go.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in the rain?

Sasha's mom, aloha

regarding what to do on a rainy day.

You are staying in Poipu, I just looked at the long range, and all I see is good signs.

NE trade winds equal good weather. You should be fine.

Now, in Poipu, you will have overnight rain showers,usually very early a.m. You might hear them when you are all snugged in for the night.

by the time you arise, the land will be dry, the sun will be out warming everything up, and your day will be great.

I agree with Brighton, you may have a passing shower, but we also just continue what ever it was that we were doing.

But should a stray rainy day occur, you could drive into Lihue and go to the Kauai Museum. Or wander around Koloa town, or go to one of the local gyms for a workout, or

attend the sunset hawaiian music and dance presentation at the Hyatt.

If those predicted trades keep blowing out of the north, you will not have a problem.

many days the wx report, will begin with windward and mauka showers....windward is the north shore, mauka is mountains...no worries, even up in Hanalei, the showers will just be passing. You are in sunny poipu.

Enjoy.

Denny

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
371 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in the rain?

I know it rains a little every day, but last night when I looked at the 15 day forecast, it literally said something like "torrential downpour", for like 3 days in a row, LOL. But when I look at it now, they've changed it back to sun. I sure hope it stays that way!!! Countdown - 22 days!!!! I can't waiiiit!!!

Antioch, CA
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in the rain?

Would you mind letting me know what site you go to to check the forecast? We'll be there on April 27th and would like to keep track of the weather as well.

Thanks!

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in the rain?

MauiBaby -

I use the following link to look at the 15 day weather forecast. Hope its helpful for you too.

http://www.kauaiworld.com/weather/

Arizona
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in the rain?

You can also look at the weather from the NBC affiliate news under "Watch Today's Forecast."

www.khnl.com

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in the rain?

Kaua'i Museum on Rice Street

Kukui Grove Mall

Anchor Cover and other shops there

Shops at Kilohana

Vendors at Spouting Horn

Relax at a nice place with drinks or coffee

WalMart for souvenirs

Kapa'a town, if the rain isn't too bad

Hanalei; just run between the raindrops between stores

Coconut Marketplace (shops all under cover)

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
371 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in the rain?

great,thanks!

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
293 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in the rain?

Is the rain there often accompanied by lightning making water activites like snorkling dangerous?

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in the rain?

Utah, Well nothing has been usual about the weather lately. But, we often snorkel in a LIGHT rain. Thunderstorms are not as common in Hawaii as they are in certain parts of the mainland. We just put our stuff in a waterproof beach bag and head for Kee,Tunnels or Hideaways on the N. Shore or Lawai or Poipu beaches on the S. Shore. We figure we're getting wet anyway ;) Also, no crowds on the beaches and no trouble trying to find a parking place ! :)