We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November Night Sky

Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
November Night Sky

I was hoping one of the wonderful Kauai experts can answer this for me. Is the Southern Cross visible from Kauai in November? And where can I get a star chart for this time (first 2 weeks of November)?

Mahalo,

syd

California
Level Contributor
37,467 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November Night Sky

Maybe you can find the answer here.

www.wunderground.com/sky/ShowSky.asp…

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,262 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November Night Sky

Aloha syd - can't really help with your question, but you are aware of the monthly star watch thru:

http://keasa.org/

3Chihuahuas

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November Night Sky

I'd highly recommend that you download the Stellarium software here:

http://www.stellarium.org/

You can configure it to show you the sky for any location, any day and time of the year. It's free to download and use and I use it all the time to help me find sky objects for both viewing with binoculars and the naked or or with our telescope.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November Night Sky

If you have an iPhone - there is a free app called Distant Suns Lite that shows you the stars/planets/heavenly bodies and shows you the constellations. I thought it was a pretty cool app when we went up Mauna Kea.

Santa Cruz...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: November Night Sky

Stellarium just came out with an iPhone app too.....much better then Distant Sun in my opinion (I have both).

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
13 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: November Night Sky

Google Sky Maps is also a great phone app for viewing stars, planets and constellations and works off of your GPS on your phone. I use it all the time.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: November Night Sky

The University of Hawaii has a monthly star chart online (they use a free program to make it, but this way you don't have to download and install it):

www.ifa.hawaii.edu/publications/starcharts/

Unfortunately, they don't do put up the months ahead of time, but they do keep last year's. So here is the night sky in Hawaii in November 2009 (planets won't be in the same place, but constallations should):

…hawaii.edu/publications/…11.09starPrint.pdf

Being so far south, the Southern Cross doesn't appear in Hawaii's fall and winter skys. As the charts on that page show, it's only visible April to June, with May being the highest above the horizon and best chance to see it.

The southern cross seen from Mauna Kea on the Big Island was featured on NASA's astromomy picture of the day in April 2002:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap020425.html

Same image with labels but no explanation:

…nasa.gov/apod/image/0204/MaunaLoaSkies_Magr…

California
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: November Night Sky

"Star Walk" on my iPhone shows the Southern Cross (Crux) looping above the southern horizon in the evenings in Hawaii around April and dropping completely down around below early July. I remember seeing it off the Big Island a few Mays ago.

Edited: 22 September 2010, 02:02
Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: November Night Sky

I knew I could rely on this forum for the best of all info. Mahalo to all - I do have a cell phone but it is, alas, merely a phone.

The APOD is great, almost like seeing it in person. It seems if I want to see the Southern Cross I will have to come back in May! Wooo Hoooo!

California
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: November Night Sky

BTW, I was surprised at how excited and kind of moved I was when I realized that I was seeing the Southern Cross. A little bit of the ancient navigators blood pumped and I realized how far south we were. I understand your excitement.