We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in January?

MTsmithy87
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai in January?

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are visiting Hawaii in January and are looking for warm weather, beaches to relax on, snorkeling and any other outdoor activities... basically a relaxing week holiday. My concern is the weather in January - where do you recommend staying in Kauai, or is there another island which has warmer/drier weather at that time?

Thanks!

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai in January?

There was a thread recently about December weather, which is pretty similar (but I haven't looked at any data when I say that, just from past experience). The conclusion was that Poipu and Waikiki are fairly dry, but the leeward (SW) coasts of Maui and Big Island are drier. All islands have beaches, though I'm biased towards Kaua'i's being nicer overall. All islands have snorkeling, but there consensus is that BI and Maui are better. All islands have hiking and outdoor activities (waterfalls, kayaking, whale watching, etc.), as well as paid excursions such as ziplines, ATVs, etc.

It boils down to what kind of ambiance you want, though again, all islands overlap in possibilities. Here on the Kaua'i forum, we like the less developed aspect of Kaua'i, less resorts, small towns, and smaller island for getting around.

MTsmithy87
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai in January?

Thank you for your reply, that is great information! In terms of "ambience"; we are looking for an aesthetically beautiful, relaxing and calm place. But we are a young couple so like to keep active with outdoor activities and nice dining areas. The main element is the weather: from your experience, where would be the sunniest and driest place in January (considering most Islands do offer the other elements I was talking about)? We are already going to Waikiki for a week.

Thanks again!

California
Level Contributor
35,238 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai in January?

On the island of Kauai the driest area in January (most likely) is the West side. It is more remote out that way. There are not many accommodations but check out Waimea Plantation Cottages. You will need to drive to Poipu for most of your dining and water activities.

I would steer you towards Poipu. You will most likely see a bit of rain here but nothing that would interfere with your daily plans. An evening shower is refreshing and makes for lovely waterfalls.

Kauai is a gorgeous island. It has so many outdoor activities you won't know what to do first. There are good restaurants but it's not like Oahu.

Buy a guidebook and see if Kauai is for you. January is a popular time on the island (whale watching season) and Poipu is a popular place to stay, so if it's what your looking for then hop on it soon.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence
Level Contributor
7,432 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai in January?

December/January is when we normally visit Kauai. We stay in Poipu. Just bear in mind that it is winter in Hawaii, for whatever it is worth, and we have had a gamut of winter weather experiences, ranging from cats and dogs rain day after day, to lovely, sunny days on end. But, your chances of better weather are much higher on the South and West sides than, say, in the North. Of the West and South, South would have much more variety in terms of accommodations and restaurants than West. There is also a good snorkeling spot at the Poipu Beach Park. How much do you want to spend per night?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai in January?

Here is a great link that someone else here just posted a couple of days ago.

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx

You'll see the color-coded rainfall map for each island and you can easily see where the drier and wetter spots are. Note that the Poipu/Koloa "peninsula" which juts out on the south end of the island, is a stand-alone drier spot with heavier rain surrounding it. Note I said drier but that doesn't mean it never gets rain.

This map will give you the low-down for each of the island and their different vacation area.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai in January?

To add, if you're looking for the islands with the sunniest and dryest spots in January, and you've already scheduled in Oahu, I'd recommend South Maui (the Wailea and even Kihei areas) and the Kohala coast of the Big Island (from Kailua-Kona and north). These two areas are large and would give you a good variety of places to stay. While Poipu is your best bet on Kauai, these two areas would be even better bets.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,258 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai in January?

Kauai is the northernmost island. It gets rainy in winter. It's lovely, no doubt - but you will find more realiably warm, dry weather on Maui or the Big Island. And better snorkeling.

All of the islands are beautiful!

If you are OK with perhaps spending your holiday in rainy weather - then go to Kauai. Again, it's beautiful and rain can be very soothing and romantic. But if the sun is a must - go to Maui or the Big Island.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,079 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai in January?

Note that the north/east sides of ALL the islands get rainy in winter. Hilo, on the Big Island's east side will actually be cooler than Lihu`e (Kauai's east side). This despite the fact that Kaua`i is northern and BI is southern.

To say, as a blanket statement, that "Kaua`i gets rainy in winter" is to make an inaccurate generalization. The north shore will undoubtedly have more rain than usual. The south shore (Po`ipu) will undoubtedly have more rain than usual, but it will probably be negligible. The center of the island will surely have more rain than usual, but you can't access it in any case, so it's a non-issue.

You'll have plenty of sun on Kaua`i. (But I do have to agree with the poster who said that Maui is the place to be if whales are your number one consideration.)

MTsmithy87
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai in January?

We are happy to spend about $200 per night twin share and are looking for somewhere luxurious and close to dining areas and activities. That is why the West concerns me if it is more "remote".

What do you think about Poipu?

Napaguy mentioned staying in South Maui and the Kohala Coast of the Big Island. Which out of these would give us the best value for money in terms of luxurious accommodation, activities and dining? Is one perhaps more touristy and hence expensive?

Thanks!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai in January?

"Napaguy mentioned staying in South Maui and the Kohala Coast of the Big Island. Which out of these would give us the best value for money in terms of luxurious accommodation, activities and dining? Is one perhaps more touristy and hence expensive?"

I'll take a stab at this but you really would do well by posting your question on the Maui and Big Island forums.

You'll find those luxurious resort hotels in both places. South Maui would just give you more choices in resort hotels and places to dine. Both would afford you a better chance of dry weather than Kauai, including Poipu, would.