We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo Option

Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
Condo Option
Save

We will be on the Big Island the end of May 2022. We are wanting a 2 bedroom condo on the beach. We do not want to spend a fortune, but want something that is clean, up to date and quiet. Please let me know if you have any recommendations.

23 replies to this topic
Naalehu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,010 posts
87 reviews
48 helpful votes
1. Re: Condo Option
Save

What is your budget range? Do you have to be "on the beach" or just oceanfront with a view?

Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Condo Option
Save

I would love to be on the beach. Would love to be less than$500 a night. There's 3 of us (my husband, myself and 15 year old daughter). Don't want to have a long walk to the beach. Would like something clean and quiet. If I need to look at a hotel/resort instead, v that's fine.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
26,008 posts
3. Re: Condo Option
Save

I read your request for the same thing on the Maui forum -- where there are many more options for beachfront. I hope you aren't spreading yourselves too 'thin', with at least a week for each island. As for Big Island, good beaches are north, on the west side of the island. Look along the Waikoloa Beach area. This is the 'newest' island in the chain. It hasn't had as much time for the lava to break down or sand to collect along the shores. The up side of that is that it has the best sea life.

Do you plan to spend a day or two on the east side, perhaps within the park, in Volcano? (Hilo is largely a government town and commercial port. Many 'beaches' and tidepools are contaminated.)

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle
Level Contributor
69,333 posts
23 reviews
78 helpful votes
4. Re: Condo Option
Save

What part of the island do you want to stay on? Do you have a town in mind? Activities planned yet?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
25 reviews
32 helpful votes
5. Re: Condo Option
Save

We stay at Kolea which is next to Anaeho’omalu Bay. I believe it’s the only condo complex that’s considered “on” a beach (though it’s technically set back a bit).

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
25 reviews
32 helpful votes
6. Re: Condo Option
Save

It looks like you’re also visiting Maui and Oahu?! How many nights are you planning for each island? When booking condos, separate cleaning fees can really affect the nightly rate, especially for shorter stays. (I’m sure you’re also well aware that airports and flights can eat up a significant amount of time and money.) Most people recommend a minimum of about ten days for the Big Island. I hope you’re allowing yourselves enough time to really enjoy and soak up the experiences of the islands you visit.

Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Condo Option
Save

I am looking at Aston Kona by the sea. Anybody stayed there? Any thoughts?

Thank you

Maui
Level Contributor
1,05,429 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
8. Re: Condo Option
Save

I agree with Sue......how much time do you have for this mega trip?

Kona
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
40 reviews
30 helpful votes
9. Re: Condo Option
Save

There is no beach anywhere near Aston Kona by the Sea; the closest one, Kahalu'u, would be a 6-mile round-trip walk.

Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Condo Option
Save

Ok. Don't want that. Any recommendation of hotel or other condo at beach.

Reply to: Condo Option
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.