We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pono Pledge

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,134 posts
33 reviews
Pono Pledge

bigislandnow.com/2018/…

The Big Island Visitors Bureau has developed the Pono Pledge for visitors and residents.

Has this been posted here? What do yiu think of it?

>> The Pono Pledge reads as follows:

I pledge to be pono (righteous) on the island of Hawai‘i.

I will mindfully seek wonder, but not wander where I do not belong.

I will not defy death for breathtaking photos, or venture beyond safety.

I will malama (care for) land and sea, and admire wildlife only from afar.

Molten lava will mesmerize me, but I will not disrupt its flow.

I will not take what is not mine, leaving lava rocks and sand as originally found.

I will heed ocean conditions, never turning my back to the Pacific.

When rain falls ma uka (inland), I will remain high above ground, out of rivers and streams.

I will embrace the island’s aloha spirit, as it embraces me.

Lawe i ka maalea i kuonoono

“Take wisdom and make it deep.”

The goal is to have 10,000 residents and visitors commit to and sign the Pono Pledge on a newly created website – PonoPledge.com – over the course of the campaign’s first year. Those who oblige will then be encouraged to spread word of the pledge to others via word-of-mouth and via their social channels. <<

8 replies to this topic
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Pono Pledge

What an excellent idea. I hope that they communicate this to visitors on the planes or at the airports.

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Pono Pledge

I'm totally in! Mahalo.

SW Virginia
Level Contributor
324 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Pono Pledge

I love this. I think everyone should take this pledge and live it, even if they are not in Hawaii. Good guidelines for trying to be a better steward for this planet.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,151 posts
4. Re: Pono Pledge

Preaching to the choir! DE's and other contributors to the Island of Hawaii forums and other island forums have been stating these things for years!

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,134 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Pono Pledge

Dusty, my post wasn’t meant to be preaching. This is a new development in Hawaii tourism that I found interesting. I thought others would too. I’m curious how it will be received, and if anyone else has come across it yet. Just thought it might be worth discussing.

Thanks for your replies everyone. So it sounds like boulders, Virginia, and H2O gal like the idea. I do wonder exactly how they plan to implement. One thing it said is that they ask people to sign the pledge, then share it on their social media. Any thoughts on that? I guess you’d go to the link, thought the one I copied in the text didn’t go live.

PonoPledge.com

Lake Villa, Illinois
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Pono Pledge

Thank you for sharing this, Teri. I also hope this is shared on the flights prior to landing. There used to be a great, short video that was shown on caring for the coral and sea life prior to landing. Not sure why it was stopped.

It is amazing how many people who innocently do harm. Last year we came upon a man trying to pick up a turtle as his young son was watching. We gently approached him and explained that green sea turtles were not to be touched, why, and to give them a wide berth. He thought he was helping the turtle as he and his son thought the turtle was dying.

Signed this and sharing this!

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,134 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Pono Pledge

The link has lots of good information on safety and protected species.

SW Virginia
Level Contributor
324 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Pono Pledge

Teri S, I don't think Dusty was saying you were literally preaching. It's an expression we use here in the

South to mean "I wholeheartedly agree with you--that's what I've been saying all along!"

I'm glad you found this info and posted it, and I think that's what Dusty meant. :-)

Reply to: Pono Pledge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted