We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another "luggage in car" question

Columbus
Level Contributor
147 posts
9 reviews
Another "luggage in car" question

We are considering stopping at both the Hawaii Botanical Garden and Akaka Falls on our way out of Hilo the day we are transferring over to the west side but I need to know if our luggage will be safe in our rental car in those parking lots. It will be in the "paid" lot at the falls so I'm wondering if they have a parking attendant there that keeps an eye on things. I know the gardens has a security guard.

I searched this forum for an answer to this specific question and found one from 2017 but wanted to get it out here again since it seems a lot of people need to do what we are thinking about. The most recent one said both of these places are considered "safe" since Akaka starting charging the fee. But it seems like maybe these are the only 2 stops that you can do this.

Lastly, if anyone knows of some other stops as we head north that would be OK to stop and see because the car is close by, please let me know and I'll put those of the list. If not, we'll just to the "drive" without any more stops.

7 replies to this topic
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,878 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Another "luggage in car" question

Last visit there was an attendant at the Akaka paid lot.

Rainbow falls parking is right by the falls so you can see your car.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 18:17
Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Another "luggage in car" question

I wouldn’t be nervous about either of these location.

You can also stop at Waipio Valley and Laupahoehoe Point if you have time.

Columbus
Level Contributor
147 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Another "luggage in car" question

Thanks to both of you! The advice is greatly appreciated.

Mahalo, Truly.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: Another "luggage in car" question

We also had luggage at both these stops and no concern. Have fun!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5. Re: Another "luggage in car" question

When we were on the Big Island 3 weeks ago, we had luggage in our car at several stops. We had a sedan and made sure nothing was left in the main area of the car that may tempt someone. We would stop a few miles before our destination and put everything in the trunk, including any snacks or other items we had in the main part of the car for the drive. We stopped at Kaumana Cave (hiked in cave for a bit), Akaka Falls (did the loop hike), Waipio Valley (weren't parked in lot, but on road just up from lot, and hiked down to beach for a couple hours). We also had our belongings in our car on our last evening in Kailua-Kona for a few hours prior to our flight. Not sure if we were just lucky, but that was our experience! Have a great trip!!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,006 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Another "luggage in car" question

I’d say you were lucky.

Waipi’o Valley Lookout tourism was a huge target ten years ago. So was Akaka Falls. Seems to have calmed down now.

Honestly, I see more police reports now on stolen cars than break-ins, but no doubt the lesser crimes are still rampant.

The Akaka Falls attendant is not a security guard. The job is to enforce the parking fee only. I think the need to pay a fee to get in is in itself a deterrent, as is the presence of a potential witness, but don’t think anyone is patrolling the lot for security purposes.

I have never walked away from my car when parked by the road or at a trailhead. There are places to take photos where you can pull over and stay by the car. I wouldn’t recommend going out of sight whether it is “close” or not.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Another "luggage in car" question

9 years of leaving my car in parking lots in Hawaii and never a problem yet. Use good sense -- don't leave items visible, don't put things in the trunk and then walk away.

Reply to: Another "luggage in car" question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted