We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fruits and food supplies

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Fruits and food supplies

Hi I will be landing in Kona and staying in Fairmont Orchid. Will have a car. I was wondering where to shop for the freshest and cheapest fruits? Do I go to Costco? Farmer's Market? Local markets? Fruit stands?

21 replies to this topic
Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,053 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Fruits and food supplies

Not Costco or fruit stands (some of which sell stolen fruit).

You have two excellent markets close by. First the Foodland Farms at the shopping center at the roundabout, basically next door, and Fairmont runs a shuttle so you don’t even need to get your car out.

Second, Waikoloa Village Market, a KTA Superstore (KTA is a Big Island only market chain; Foodland is a Hawai’i grocery chain).

Excellent Farmer’s Markets in Waimea, multiple ones. Run a search for Big Island darmer’s Markets to get the island list and info on days and hours.

Waikoloa Beach and Village have some sort of FM, but I don’t know how much selection.

The main Foodland and the older Waimea KTA are there too.

The crops usually go through brokers, even with the FM, and Foodland will buy the same fruit, so I’m not sure it makes that much difference.

If you go to Hawi’s FM Saturday morning, you’ll find small time producers like people with home gardens and orchards selling their extras, which is cool.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Fruits and food supplies

Thank you KK! You are the best!!!

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Fruits and food supplies

I agree KK is the best. So is that little Foodland Farms store. They have everything. Lots of their produce is local.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
217 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: Fruits and food supplies

I second Foodland Farms and Waimea Farmers Market. KTA Waikoloa wasn’t that great for us, even though it was right by our condo. Maybe they had low stock on everything due to the fact that we were there right during hurricane Lane. Found more “exotic” fruits at Foodland Farms, more choices of deli items as well.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Fruits and food supplies

To foodland mart it is...want to stock up on exotic fruits so my little one could eat it for breakfast and snacks. Also want to get poke as well. Any suggestions on poke? Loved your report kaismommy from your trip!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
217 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: Fruits and food supplies

Thanks!

I was hoping to find poke at the deli counters at KTA but didn’t. Foodlands that I’ve been on other islands always had an amazing array of poke but KTA Waikoloa didn’t seem to have good deli or poke. *found two spam musubi at 6:30am, rest were sad looking prepackaged sandwiches.

Foodland Farms is fairly small compared to other Foodlands so they didn’t seem to have much deli or poke items either. I only managed to find very small selection of already made, packaged food items like spam musubi and such. Again, we were there during hurricane Lane so maybe food was short supply. Anywho....

We loved Umeke’s for poke. It’s in Kailua-Kona but they have two locations. We didn’t spend much time in Kona but ended up passing by a couple of times, so we had delicious poke at Umeke’s twice. A bit pricey compared to what we can get in LA but food won’t disappoint. *i also recommend Furikake Chicken if you like fried foods. I got it “on the side” to share with my son. :)

Edited: 13 September 2018, 20:32
Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,053 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Fruits and food supplies

Just FYI, poke is not good for kids, should be given sparingly if at all. Hawaiian ahi is quite high in mercury, which as hope you all know, builds up in the body and affects developing nervous systems.

The Waimea KTA still has a deli counter with poke, surely. KTA is generally favored by locals for poke. The Waikoloa KTA is less of a locals market though.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Fruits and food supplies

haha the poke is for me =) I saw umeke's as well on yelp. looked very tasty but very pricey for the poke. It's actually going to be one of our stops from the airport before going to the hotel. can't wait to try the fish plate and the chicken!

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
269 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Fruits and food supplies

Both KTA and Foodland stores have big poke counters. They are not at the deli counters but on the other other side of the stores next to the fresh meat counters. Sorry you missed them Kaismommy!

The Foodland at Mauna Lani shops has a good deli counter with great fried chicken as well as another gourmet food area next to the liquors.

Check the Foodland store ads for possible poke specials and sign up for a Maika'i card to get sale prices.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
217 posts
58 reviews
10. Re: Fruits and food supplies

Bummer!!! Sorry I missed it. Went three times, too! Well, I’ll know for next time!

Reply to: Fruits and food supplies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted