We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security at Kona Airport

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Security at Kona Airport

Thank you everyone for all of the helpful advice on this forum! I have been checking all of the posts daily in anticipation of our upcoming trip on the 12th. I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how security is at the Kona airport? We have a 6:15am flight when we leave BI so I'm trying to figure out how early we need to be there. It's such an early flight, but the best option to not get home so late that night. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
14 replies to this topic
Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security at Kona Airport

We just went through it and the lines were short and sweet.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Security at Kona Airport

Recently, the flights have been short and sweet, as the posted phrased it above. Twice the TSA- Precheck wasn’t available but I was allowed to at least keep my shoes on.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Security at Kona Airport

Earliest I'd get there for a 6:15am flight would be 5am.

~ Colleen

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kailua-Kona
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Security at Kona Airport

Is it a flight to the mainland or an interisland flight? I frequently used to take the Hawaiian flight to Honolulu at that time and never had a long wait at security.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Camarillo...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Security at Kona Airport

Thank you everyone!

Sybil it is a flight to Honolulu and then on to LAX.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kailua-Kona
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Security at Kona Airport

Since it's just the inter island flight then I would plan to be there around 4:45 if you have baggage to check. I used to get there at 5:15 with no baggage.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,305 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Security at Kona Airport

Itʻs not unusually for TSA Precheck to be closed at our smaller airports. You do get to keep your shoes and belt on, but you have to take out your computer and liquids. You go through the metal detector, not the big scanner.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
476 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Security at Kona Airport

Is that an inter island flight? or is it a flight to LAX, with a layover in HNL?

If you need to check in luggage, you need to be there, checked in an hour before otherwise they will NOT check you in if you need to check in luggage.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 04:01
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Security at Kona Airport

My Siri was terrible above. Sorry!

I agree with Colleen that since it is an early morning flight I wouldn’t worry about getting there before 5am. The process should be pretty fast.

That doesn’t take into consideration returning a car rental which may take a little time.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 04:15
Camarillo...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Security at Kona Airport

Yes Sherill it is a layover in HNL. I'm sorry, I should have clarified.

We will have a rental car through Avis which doesn't open until 5am. Maybe there is a way to drop off before? Hopefully or we may be really pressed to get bags checked, through security and to the gate in time. Ugh, now I wish I would have gone with the later flight...I clearly didn't think this all the way through.

Reply to: Security at Kona Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted