We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety?

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Safety?

I am traveling to San Pedro Sula next week for business.

I'll be there for 2 days. I would like to explore on my time off there but, I kept seeing all the warnings from the US State department and other stories of the high murder rate, kidnapping, extortion etc.

I am used to the normal crime rate in a big city in the NE of the US. But this place seems extreme.

Is it worth the risk, or stay in my hotel room?

Advice?

9 replies to this topic
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety?

i have visited sps multiple times, i highly recommend the intercontinental hotel.

take the same precautions you would in any large city, don't wear jewelry or expense watches, don't wander off of the main shopping streets, don't wander around alone at night or leave a bar with a "friendly" local young lady.

tourists have never been targeted by the criminals in sps, the violence is gang vs gang, so unless your business is the white powder you should be fine. the locals are remarkably friendly considering their circumstances.

honduras is very poor and the cities are indeed rough but there is no need to hide in your hotel.

its a shame you can't stay longer, the cities of honduras are unattractive and lack cultural significance but the countryside, mountains, jungles and the islands in the caribbean are beautiful and well worth a visit. its just as beautiful as costa rica, it just isn't full of american tourists (yet)!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety?

ps. last time my elderly mother visited me in Honduras, she had to spend a night in miami on her way home to england. the uk embassy sent her a warning about the violent crime in miami and told her that tourists, especially foreign ones, are often singled out by criminals there.

its all perspective i suppose.

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
840 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety?

We exercised a lot of caution in San Pedro Sula. We were careful where we walked in the daytime, and didn't carry valuables. We didn't really walk at night, and where possible used cabs recommended by a hotel or business as an alternative to street taxis. As Divenuts notes, crime is generally a problem for Hondurans in the big cities, not visitors.

Overall, Honduras is safe and a great place to visit, but San Pedro Sula does call for a little extra caution.

Verona, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety?

Are the taxis at the airport safe/reliable? Any recommended or any to stay away from?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety?

i would just be sure to negotiate the price before you get in the taxi.

if you're very concerned/nervous and are taking the taxi to a hotel, ask them to arrange for a driver to meet you at the airport.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety?

Hey everyone! So i may be travelling to SPS, and staying in San Jose Sula, and wondering if anyone had any advice or travel tips to pass along? What are safe and reputable hotels? What would you recommend seeing if you were there for a week or two???

Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety?

Two days is not much time and while there is not a lot to see in San Pedro Sula, there is a lot to see outside of it such as the magnificent Maya ruins of Copan. That of course would require more time than two days. Your hotel can probably arrange a short tour of the city, which would be safe and let you experience the city a little. It is not really a city of sights, or full of things for a tourist to do.

If it was me, I would try to find a way to extend the trip for a few days so that you can actually enjoy some of the things Honduras has to offer. It would be worth it if you are never able to get back there again.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety?

Ryan C. Try not to stay in San Pedro Sula for a week or two, a day is more rhan enough. Use the rest of the time to visit Copan and/or the bay islands. San Pedro Sula has nothing of beauty or cultural significance,

Edited: 09 May 2018, 03:13
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety?

Agreed, San Pedro Sula is more of a transit point - a place to enter and exit the country. It is not really a destination, unless you have business there. With two weeks you can see quite a bit beyond the city including the islands and the Maya ruins of Copan. Both are worth visiting.

Reply to: Safety?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro Sula