We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utila inshore fishing

Lacey, Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
22 reviews
Utila inshore fishing

We are going to Utila next spring and I would like do some inshore fishing for bones or whatever might be available.

Is it possible to beach fish Utila or do you need a boat and guide?

Any places anyone can recommend to diy fish around Utila?

6 replies to this topic
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
336 reviews
1. Re: Utila inshore fishing

there are good wading spots around the cays and treasure beach on the south shore. turtle harbor and rock harbor are also good spots but they are on the north side so you'll need a guide with a boat to get to them. i often see people who are staying at treasure beach out flats fishing.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 18:26
Lacey, Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Utila inshore fishing

We are looking at staying near town. Any places accesable by golf cart or walking in?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
336 reviews
3. Re: Utila inshore fishing

I think there might be one wade in spot near Bando beach just east of town that area is road accessible but the south shore has the best opportunities, unless you hire a guide for the north side.

Lacey, Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Utila inshore fishing

Thank you for all the information

We will give it all a try!

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
842 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Utila inshore fishing

Yes, I've seen people wading and fishing to the left of Bando Beach. No idea how successful they were. There are also flats off Water Cay, which is easy to get to by boat and a pleasant place to hang out, that might be promising.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,707 posts
331 reviews
6. Re: Utila inshore fishing

We spent a week or 2 twice on Utila and my husband went flyfishing every day out by the old airport, walking out between partially finished homes to flights looking out at the Airport dive and snorkeling sites. First time good success, 2nd time not so much but they were both years ago so I have no idea what's left there (2006, and 2008). The locals use the bones for 'fish balls' and bait.

Reply to: Utila inshore fishing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Utila