We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling From San Ignacio to Tikal - 5 adults and 1 baby

Washington DC...
7 posts
Save Topic
Travelling From San Ignacio to Tikal - 5 adults and 1 baby

Hi All,

I am travelling from San Ignacio to Tikal on Memorial day weekend for a single night. We are a group of 5 adults and 1 eleven month old baby. We are renting an SUV from crystal in Belize city, and driving to San Ignacio. Then we plan to drive to Tikal the next day, and stay in Tikal for a day and drive back the next day. I have several questions,

1. Should I drive to Tikal, or just get a taxi at the border? Will they have a mini-van taxi to accommodate all 6 of us? Renting a car to cross the border from Crystal is more expensive than renting for AQ, which is Belize only. So I can rent from AQ, leave the car in San Ignacio for a day, and take the taxi to Tikal.

2. Is tikal stroller friendly? We plan to take turns in climbing the pyramids so no one has to climb up with the baby. any advice on handling tikal with baby?

3. Is san ignacio and tikal lacto-vegetarian friendly? We dont eat meats, eggs, and lard, but milk is ok. Do you think we will have issues with food?

4. We are planning either staying is Tikal or by the nearby lake (La Lancha?). I am unable to find many suites that can hold the entire family. We may rent two rooms. Do you have any recommendations on which way to go? Are there more mosquitoes in tikal or near the lake? We would like to have A/C in the rooms so the baby can be more comfortable.

Thanks very much for your help and advice,

Vidhu

6 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling From San Ignacio to Tikal - 5 adults and 1 baby

Also, If I was taking a taxi from the border to Tikal and back, can you comment is the taxis can accommodate 5 adults and a back, or would I need two taxis? Also, is it easy to get a taxi from Tikal to the border back?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,507 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling From San Ignacio to Tikal - 5 adults and 1 baby

1. I would consider arranging transport only through an agency like Pacz of Maximum Tours.

https://www.pacztours.net/

http://www.sanignaciobelizetours.com/

Or maybe hire a guide like Marlon Díaz to meet you at the border. www.gemtrips.com

2. No, Tikal is definitely NOT stroller friendly. I'd recommend a comfortable back pack for an older baby like yours so you can take turns carrying him/her. Explore early in the day to help beat the heat and pack in lots of water. Cover up with lightweight clothes, use quality sun block and bug stuff.

3. San Ignacio should be fine food-wise, lots of options. Tikal is more restrictive since there are fewer places to eat - hopefully others can chime in with more specifics for you.

4. I prefer to stay in the park at Tikal but electricity is limited at night so no AC there. La Casa de Don David in El Remate might be an option - I stayed there with friends a year ago last fall because one needed reliable electricity overnight to recharge a prosthetic limb.

Happy trails!

Washington DC...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling From San Ignacio to Tikal - 5 adults and 1 baby

Awesome! thanks! we are definitely planning to take the backpack for the baby. We decided to stay at the jungle lodge. My family will stay in the room, while me and brother have decided to rent a tent for the night.

I did see several pictures from people camping at the base of the temples. I dont know if this is possible now.

I emailed PacZ and they said they do tours only, no option for transport only as they dont have a tour scheduled that day. We may end up just driving over.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,507 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling From San Ignacio to Tikal - 5 adults and 1 baby

Note that you won't have functional insurance if you drive your car - if there's an incident involving another vehicle, a pedestrian, or a pig that wonders into the road, the locals including officials won't have any reason to care about whatever credit card insurance you might have for your rental. That could cause a lot of stress and significant delays which is why most of us wouldn't consider risking it. Most folks don't run into issues but, just sayin'...

Did you try my 2nd link for transport only? Or Marlon?

Re: camping in the Maya site, not allowed, not recommended. Happy trails!

Edited: 25 April 2018, 21:39
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling From San Ignacio to Tikal - 5 adults and 1 baby

2. Definitely bring along a backpack carrier as hopefulist recommends--not an Ergo, but something that actually carries baby away from body.. I would also buy one of those fan/spray thingies to cool baby (and who ever is carrying) down. Heat rash happens--if it does happen you can buy corn starch (felcula de maiz) at most small tiendas and powder baby down.

4. If you can't get an airconditioned unit, stay at a place with a pool. My recollection is that the water by la Casa de Don David was quite clean, but I'd be concerned about the baby accidentally ingesting ameobas.

Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling From San Ignacio to Tikal - 5 adults and 1 baby

A few notes:

There can be mosquitoes at Tikal and at the Jungle Lodge, so for the baby, be prepared for that.

You may want to consider bringing along a battery operated fan. A couple times, for Tikal, I have brought a slim 8" one which packs easily, but produces quite a bit of breeze. If you find your Jungle Lodge room is too hot for the baby, you can hang out in the reception lounge/restaurant area. I don't think it is air conditioned, but it ALWAYS feels cooler than my room!

The Jungle Lodge has a full menu and is probably the most developed restaurant of the hotels. I don't know if it is lacto-vegetarian friendly, but it would be your best bet of the three hotel choices. There is also the Park restaurant (which is a proper restaurant) but I doubt they would be as accommodating as a restaurant in the hotel you are staying at.

As cool as it would be, they have not allowed sleeping or camping inside the ruins area of the Park for years.

Have a great trip - Tikal is one of my favorite places in the world!

Reply to: Travelling From San Ignacio to Tikal - 5 adults and 1 baby
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted