We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sick from food

Oregon, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
48 reviews
Sick from food

I am currently at Puerto del Lago hotel and tonight is my last of 4 nights. I have been sick the past 17 hours with the usual from not preparing good correctly. I have not eaten outside of the hotel since Friday morning. Should i tell the management or will i be wasting my time?

11 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,716 posts
331 reviews
1. Re: Sick from food

There's probably nothing that would come of it, frankly, but you might talk to staff about it in case there have been others; in that event they might be able to narrow down to a specific, common food. Sometimes a food makes one person sick and not others or it was dish specific so without numerous sick folks chiming in it's unlikely they'll figure anything out or make any changes imo. Sorry you've been sick - hope you feel better soon.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
965 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Sick from food

Are you brushing your teeth with bottled water and keeping your mouth closed when you shower?

Essen, Germany
Level Contributor
127 posts
135 reviews
3. Re: Sick from food

Really ??? I have brushed my teeth with tap water for years whenever I am in Guatemala and never had any problems. Not drinking the tap water in large quantities is one thing, but you are unlikely to get sick from the few drops by brushing your teeth if you ask me .... ( be it Antigua, Pana or remote places like Huehue and the Ixil)

Essen, Germany
Level Contributor
127 posts
135 reviews
4. Re: Sick from food

...mind you I got sick once last year after eating at Hectors Bistrot which is #1 in Antigua. Won't stiop me from going back there and it can happen in any kind of restaurant that something has turned bad....

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,716 posts
331 reviews
5. Re: Sick from food

But Jeannine - it occurs to me that might have been a time that it was actually the water from brushing your teeth that made you sick since the quality and safety of the water can vary substantially due to equipment and especially weather changes. When I lead a group trip I have the participants practice brushing with purified water ahead since several times the only people on our trips who have gotten sick have been those using sink water to brush.

Level Contributor
290 posts
1 review
6. Re: Sick from food

I know some people that do brush their teeth with local tap water in Guatemala. The theory is that they are not ingesting enough to cause harm, and toothpaste with fluoride will help kill off many if not most of the germs anyway. They don't seem to get sick from it so maybe there is some truth to it.

Having said that, I personally try to avoid it. The water in the cities like Guatemala City and Antigua is purified before entering the system, however it passes through a lot of very old and potentially toxic pipes. Some of these water pipes have cracks which can (and sometimes do) allow cracked sewage pipes to leak into them. So from the source to the tap, there are a lot of opportunities for the water to be contaminated with all kinds of unknown and unhealthy substances. Since I have no idea about the quality of the water coming out of the tap, or what bacteria is in it, I prefer that it keeps well clear of my mouth. Bottled or purified, filtered water is cheap enough and for the most part, safe. A little extra caution can go along way in Guatemala.

Edited: 04 May 2018, 02:11
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
55 reviews
7. Re: Sick from food

I hope you get better soon. I was in Antigua over Semana Santa and got the worst food poisoning of my life. Guessing it was some sort of e. coli -- three days of pure hell, couldn't leave the hotel. Didn't eat for four days and lost at least 10 pounds. After ~40 trips to Latin America over the last 10 years, I imagined I had built up a bit of a tolerance to some of the local bacteria, apparently not. I think we got it from some street food, which I do normally eat. Next time...maybe not.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,716 posts
331 reviews
8. Re: Sick from food

Oh dear - awful, hope you're feeling well now. :-( For the sake of the conversation, do you use tap water for teeth brushing in Latin America? Did anyone else in your party get sick?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
55 reviews
9. Re: Sick from food

My wife and I both got sick. I never use tap water for anything other than bathing. I won't even use ice.

Edited: 04 May 2018, 19:06
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,716 posts
331 reviews
10. Re: Sick from food

Thanks for the update - hope you're both on the mend.

Reply to: Sick from food
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Panajachel