We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GUA>Pana Monday afternoons/evenings - road closures/delays?

Vancouver, Canada
10 posts
GUA>Pana Monday afternoons/evenings - road closures/delays?

Hi there,

We are booking a private transfer due to some pit stops we have to make in Guatemala city on the day of our arrival. One of the drivers we contacted advised that if we left Guatemala City around 2:30pm, we wouldn't arrive in Pana until close to 9pm due to traffic and some scheduled road closures. Does anyone know what this person is referring to? The reason this matters is because we booked accommodations for that evening in San Marcos and expected to transfer by boat upon arrival in Pana (around 6pm, we anticipated). But if we aren't arriving in Pana until 9pm, I'd rather book a hotel there for the night and transfer first thing the next day.

Thanks in advance for any help!

5 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
10 posts
1. Re: GUA>Pana Monday afternoons/evenings - road closures/delays?

My apologies - we are headed to San Pedro not San Marcos!

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: GUA>Pana Monday afternoons/evenings - road closures/delays?

I think you are cutting it close, especially if you're traveling on a Friday afternoon. It also depends on which part of the city you're leaving from.

Vancouver, Canada
10 posts
3. Re: GUA>Pana Monday afternoons/evenings - road closures/delays?

Leaving from Zone 9/10. Cutting it close as to...? Do you think 2:30 is too late to leave GUA for Pana? Even with a direct private transfer?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,707 posts
331 reviews
4. Re: GUA>Pana Monday afternoons/evenings - road closures/delays?

I'm not sure about road closures but traffic has been getting worse and worse in Guatemala City. You could talk to other private drivers and get their opinions, but it would take fairly smooth sailing to make it to Pana by 6pm; it's dark then and I think I'd book a night there and cross in the morning.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: GUA>Pana Monday afternoons/evenings - road closures/delays?

This is probably too late to help you, but even if you get there by 6, book a room and rest. The winds pick up on the lake by 2 pm and each subsequent crossing is more and more choppy. It was a slightly wild ride at 2 pm a few days ago and I was VERY grateful that I had been able to leave then rather than 4 pm as planned.

Reply to: GUA>Pana Monday afternoons/evenings - road closures/delays?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Panajachel