We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copan and Quirigua trip from GC/Antigua

Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Copan and Quirigua trip from GC/Antigua

Hi,

We are a group of 3 people who would like to visit Copan and Quirigua during our trip to Guatemala in June. What is the best way to get the trip done in 2 days? It seems there are 2 day tours available form GC/Antigua but they seem to be quite pricey. What are the other options we have? Private transportation? What is the reasonable price for that? Public local transportation might be difficult for us as none of us speak Spanish.

Thanks in advance.

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Copan and Quirigua trip from GC/Antigua

The 2 day tours can be on the expensive side. However, you may be able to cut the price down by paying for the transportation only, and you book your own room, or ask them about different hotel options. A lot of the tours contract with the Hotel Marina which is on the high end for Copan. You can ask for a less expensive hotel and that should cut the rate some.

Some of the tours do stop at Quirigua on the way back to GC/Antigua but you need to ask because many of them do not. It is possible to get to Quirigua and then on to Copan on your own but if you don't speak Spanish, I would not recommend it.

A one way private shuttle stopping at Quirigua on the way to Copan, and then a tourist shuttle coming back a day or two later might work for you. You can pick the price range of your hotel as well. It would be more expensive but you will have as much time as you need at Quirigua.

Alfredo Garcia is the contact whose service I use for private transportation from Antigua to other parts of the region (I have used him to travel from Antigua to Copan as well). Alfredo uses modern, well cared for private vehicles, drives safely, and having lived in England for eight years, speaks English well. His wife Jane is an excellent tour guide with extensive knowledge across Guatemala and the Maya region. Born in England, Jane speaks fluent English, Spanish, and a little French. You can contact him and get some prices.

alf.transport@yahoo.com

Mobile phone: (502) 4564 5535

If you don't need to see Quirigua, there are several options including direct shuttles and public transportation.

Having said all that, I would recommend that you try to work Quirigua in on any trip to Copan. Their histories are closely intertwined. In 738 AD Quirigua captured the king of Copan, 18 Rabbit, beheaded him in the Quirigua Great Plaza, and changed the fortunes of both cities forever.

Quirigua also has the largest Stelae in the Maya world. The large stone inscribed markers are very impressive.

Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Copan and Quirigua trip from GC/Antigua

Thanks a lot, Craig!

Edited: 24 April 2018, 00:16
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,514 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Copan and Quirigua trip from GC/Antigua

Are you sure that's all the time you have? Imho Copán Ruinas is worth at least 2 nights and 3 is better. In addition to the Copán Maya site there are several others nearby, hot springs, a bird park, villages, hiking, caving, and 3 excellent museums.

I 2nd the Alfredo Garcia recommendation - he's wonderful. In addition, here are 2 transportation providers I’ve been pleased with in Guatemala for share shuttles, private transfers, and flight arrangements:

Adrenalina Tours: http://www.adrenalinatours.com

Rainbow Travel: http://www.rainbowtravelcenter.com

My photos with blog links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - there are Copán sets in the 2005, 2008, and 2014 collections. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Reply to: Copan and Quirigua trip from GC/Antigua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted