We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in guatemala, whats the best route?

2 posts
Save Topic
10 days in guatemala, whats the best route?

Hi there,

We will travel for ten days in Guatemala. Starting with 2 or 3 nights in Antigua to settle down from the trip, but then..? I would love to travel to Flores/Tikal and/or other Mayan sites, I would love to see the jungle and her flora and fauna and i heard lake Atitlan is beautifull. But what is the best way to travel and get most out of the time we have? I heard Atitlan i quite close to Antigua by bus (an hour or so!?) I can not drive a car so busses and/or planes will be best ;)

I hope you have some tips!

4 replies to this topic
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in guatemala, whats the best route?

You've got the right destinations. IDK that there's any "best" way to do it. Personally, I'd go Antigua, a night or two at Tikal, then the lake.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in guatemala, whats the best route?

As you will be in Guatemala City when you arrive you could also go to Tikal first. Depending on your budget and what time you arrive you can fly to Flores or take the overnight bus. Tikal is amazing and I recommend staying overnight in the park. You could also go to Yaxha. Then fly back or take the overnight bus back. Take a bus or shuttle to Lake Atitlan (2.5 hours). Visit the different villages and markets. Go hiking. End in Antigua (2 days).

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in guatemala, whats the best route?

Thank you! Is Yaxha close to Guatemala City or Flores? and the shuttle to the lake (2,5 hours) is the time from GC or Flores?

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in guatemala, whats the best route?

Yaxha is not too far from Tikal. 90 minutes or so (on the way to Belize).

Flores (and Tikal and Yaxha) are not near the lake at all.

But what I said about the shuttle was a mistake. The 2.5 hour shuttle is between Antigua and Lake Atitlan. If you are flying back or taking the overnight bus from Flores you will end up in Guatemala City. From GC you can get to the lake by bus. Just ask a taxi to bring you to the Rebuli bus station in GC. That is a direct bus to Panajachel and it takes 3 hours. A shuttle from GC to the lake could take 4-4.5 hours as shuttles go to Antigua first.

If you book the overnight bus from Flores (Santa Elena) to GC through a travel agency it will include a shuttle to Antigua. You could of course also go to Antigua first after Tikal and then to the lake.

Reply to: 10 days in guatemala, whats the best route?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted