We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations

new york
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
vaccinations

My daughter is traveling to Antigua for 7 days and will be working building houses in Santa Maria de Jesus . The CDC recommends Typhoid , HEP A , Malaria , Rabies , Tetnus . Im having a hard time finding rabies shot . Any recommendations ?

9 replies to this topic
Crowsnest Pass...
Level Contributor
331 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaccinations

If you read the "clinician" view of the CDC recommendations for Guatemala

https:/…guatemala

you will see that:

- She is unlikely to need rabies unless she is working with stray animals.

- Unless visiting the coast for an extended time, she is unlikely to contact Malaria as Antigua is at too high an elevation.

As you seem to be overwhelmed with what is best, I would make an appointment at a Travel Medicine Clinic. The nurses/doctors at the clinic will review what she already has and make recommendations based on her itinerary and health history. They should be able to supply all the needed vaccinations and make recommendations regarding other health issues as well - for example travellers diarrhea

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vaccinations

There are no required vaccinations. I live here, and I've had the Hep A, and I had my tetanus updated a few years ago. But that's all. Still, see what a clinic says and do what works for you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
833 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vaccinations

In addition to the above suggestions about immunizations, I'd emphasize that the level of hygiene in Sta. Maria de Jesus is not great, so oral typhoid immunization, as recommended by the CDC, is a good idea. Beyond that, and assuming that she knows to avoid contact with stray dogs. she probably will only have to check that her standard immunizations, such as tetanus and Hep A, are current. But the health risks that she's most likely to encounter (such as travelers' diarrhea, food poisoning, and injuries) are not preventable by immunization, so if there are any special features of her health situation or she has other worries, then she should consult with her local travel clinic.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vaccinations

Hi Suki

I agree with everything suggestions. I have been living in Guatemala for many years, and I have never been vaccinated at all. And I think nobody gets the rabies vaccine to travel to any country. Usually, this vaccine is used in case of bite of an animal, otherwise not.

The most important recommendations are: do not eat anything from street food, drink only bottled water (very, very important), don't eat peeled fruits or raw vegetables (salads).

Do not worry, she'll be fine. Good luck!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
278 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vaccinations

^^Ana, I think you mean don't eat *unpeeled* fruits. Peeled bananas should be ok. Oranges in Guatemala are kind of hard to peel and are often served with the peel on, so they might not be ok.

If she is staying in a homestay, she can ask that they use a small amount of bleach ("cloro") in a tub of water to disinfect vegetables and fruits that will be consumed raw. Hopefully they already do that. Many families do. If they don't, it's a very little thing to ask of a host family, and I am sure they would happily oblige.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vaccinations

Tulipancito

First, I'm sorry, but my English is not perfect, and sometimes it can be confused.

When I say, "d'ont eat peeled fruit" I mean, for example: those that sell already peeled and in pieces in plastic bags. Those, you shouln't eat, because you don't know how this food has been handled.

new york
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vaccinations

I was given pills yesterday for Malaria but I'm not going to allow my daughter to take them . The side effects are crazy. She's going to get the typhoid shot tonight . She has already been given a tetnus and HEp A . Hope all goes well .

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
278 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vaccinations

AnaMJM, good point, I wasn't thinking about the baggies of prepared fruit and veggies that vendors sell.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
833 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vaccinations

There's no reason to take malaria prophylaxis if only visiting the highlands, including Antigua and surrounding villages like Sta Maria de Jesus. If she will be going to the lower-lying area, especially the coast near Escuintla, then it's worth discussing with her travel clinic. Side effects are relatively uncommon and minor with short-term use of Chloroquine, which would usually be the preferred prophylaxis in Guatemala and other areas where there is no drug-resistant malaria.

Reply to: vaccinations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted