We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Route Questions

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
22 reviews
Driving Route Questions

Hello -

My sister and her family are planning a trip in December. In total we will be 5 people.The route we are considering in a rented 4x4 SUV is the following:

Guatemala City to Lanquin/Semuc Champey

Semuc Champey to Flores or El Remate

Flores/El Remate to Rio Dulce

Has anyone had experience with any leg of those trips? For scheduling reasons we might be on the road between Semuc Champey and Flores on Christmas day. Are gas stations open? Will this present any problems?

Really appreciate any advice and guidance. Thank you!

3 replies to this topic
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,823 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Driving Route Questions

I have not rented a car in Guatemala but the link below might help. When you drive from GC to Lanquin stop at the Biotopo del Quetzal if you have time (cloud forest and birds). If you can, stay overnight at Los Ranchitos del Quetzal and get up early (best time to hopefully see a quetzal). I recommend staying overnight at Tikal but maybe you are already planning to do that. After Rio Dulce (if you are going back to GC) consider going to Copan (Honduras) for the nice town, ruins, scarlet macaws, hot springs...

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g292002…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Driving Route Questions

Thanks for the advice.I will look into those links and places!

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Driving Route Questions

It's been some time since I was on any of those roads, so FWIW, the road to Lanquin is awful. From the reviews I've seen, that hasn't changed. Roads from GC to Coban, Sayaxche to Tikal, and Tikal to RD and on to GC should be OK to pretty good. Can't speak to the stretch from Coban to Sayaxche. I'd expect that some gas stations will be open.

Reply to: Driving Route Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted