We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel doesn't want credit card to book. strange or not???

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
hotel doesn't want credit card to book. strange or not???

I booked a room at kelly creek hotel (great ratings) for April. The man does not want a credit card number. Every other place has taken a deposit on Paypal. Has anyone ever had this experience before?

Thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel doesn't want credit card to book. strange or not???

There are quite a few smaller places that prefer not to have the expense of an online booking system with payment and just kind of trust that you will show up. It's not uncommon.

Milano
Level Contributor
7 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel doesn't want credit card to book. strange or not???

I run a small hostel and don't bother with taking credit card deposits. April will be a busy month and the owner is probably confident that if you don't turn up, someone else will!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel doesn't want credit card to book. strange or not???

Nice way to said THANK YOU...we trust you...lke in the good old days!

roadadvisor

MAlta
Level Contributor
66 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel doesn't want credit card to book. strange or not???

We found that most places, esp in Puerto Jimenez for example, do not take credit cards and have to be paid in cash. Most probably that is why they did not take your visa details.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel doesn't want credit card to book. strange or not???

That is very strange. Hopefully they will have your reservation when you get there.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel doesn't want credit card to book. strange or not???

Well. Mike, it is not strange at all. I usually stay at the smaller hotels or "cabinas" and most of them do not ask for or require a credit card for booking because they don't accept credit cards. I have never had a problem with my reservation not "being there" when I arrived.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel doesn't want credit card to book. strange or not???

We had one hotel tell us they would rather have a check than a credit card; we thought that was surprising. I guess the credit card companies charge a fee.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,092 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel doesn't want credit card to book. strange or not???

We spent Sunday nite at the Kelly Creek Hotel and the owner did not ask for a credit card or payment in advance. We emailed him a day in advance so he would know we planned to show up and he held the room for us. Paid in cash. Don't worry - many of the smaller inns seem to take a variety of different approaches to payment. Some want payemnt for the 1st nite, some just want a credit card but don't charge it, some want full payment and 2 of the inns on our recent trip didn't need a credit card to hold the reservation.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel doesn't want credit card to book. strange or not???

If a business is even big enough to warrant using credit cards, the fee is generally 7%. It's much easier for these people just to get paid in cash and keep their prices low and avoid the bookkeeping hassles.

10. Re: hotel doesn't want credit card to book. strange or not???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:10