We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gate 1 Travel-costa rica

usa
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Gate 1 Travel-costa rica

We used Gate - 1 for our trip to Costa Rica in February. I would not use them again – period.

When we arrived in San Jose, the hotel they put us in was a total crap hole - (Hotel Europa) – complete with roaches, dirty bathroom, broken windows, and moldy carpets. I called them directly from Costa to complain to the customers service supervisor, Christine.

She acted like I was imagining things and told me to write a letter when I got back to the U.S.. The hotel was so bad, I spent my own money on another place, as we had originally planned on staying there on our last night. After 8 emails of documentation and pictures, they finally returned only $50, which did not cover the price of the international phone call!!

They denied that they were to provide a 4-wheel drive vehicle to us as well, which is a must on the rocky terrain of the country.

We will never use Gate – 1 again

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gate 1 Travel-costa rica

Sorry to hear about this....but, I have never heard of Gate - 1 !!

This is a perfect example for travellers planning a trip to Costa Rica to NOT use agents and do the planning yourself! It really is not that difficult and does not take much time.

But, then, if you plan your trip and it turns out bad, you have no one to blame but yourself, if you have someone else plan it and it ends up unsatsfactory, you can blame them.

Your choice, but I would rather save the money and have myself to blame!!

NYC
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Gate 1 Travel-costa rica

NEVER USE GATE 1 TRAVEL!!!

We were intersted in the "independent" travel package for Costa Rica which included the aifare, transfers, hotel & rental car. We weren't sure if it was sold out or not so we also reserved flights on Delta airlines which allows you to cancel within 24 hrs without charge.

When we called the Gate 1 agent said the package was available and the only thing "on request" meaning they could not confirm was 1 of the hotels at one of the cities we would be staying at. However, the travel agent assured us that the policy is that they look into another hotel of equal or better status and give us the option to accept.

So, happy with being able to book 2 wks of our travel date for a good deal I put down a deposit. Later that week getting worried about the "on request" hotel I checked the invoice online and it said they had upgraded us to a better hotel that was "on request"as well. When I called in they said they were waiting to hear back on the "upgraded" hotel that would cost us $94 more to see if they had room.

So a couple days past and about 1 wk before our departure - I check online to find that our ENTIRE RESERVATION WAS CANCELLED!!!!

I recieved no e-mail, no call, there was no explaination on the website. We call in the next day to have the supervisor tell us that they couldn't confirm the upgraded hotel and then that the airfare had expired. But then he goes to check the hotel and finds that he can now offer us the exact same package because now suddenly the hotel has room..but the flights will cost us $400. Which is ridiculous - the same package - is now $400 more due to them prematurely cancelling.

Then we tried to explain that no one told us that the flight would "expire" or that the whole package would suddenly be cancelled just because they couldn't confirm a hotel.

The supervisor then tells us it is "common" that when the air is reserved he can't get the land or when the land is reserved air is on request. He then tell us that the "whole" package was "on request" When we told him that on the invoice it only said he hotel was on request NOT the entire package and that it was never explained to us or written anywhere that the entire reservation would be uniallaterally cancelled he said it was OUR fault for booking so close to the date. Which doesn't make sense because if they knew this would happen why would they still offer the package.

So in then end my bf & I who find it very very hard to get time off are left w/o a vacation to costa rica and ticked off as heck.

Oh a day later I get a call from the travel agent letting me know that they cancelled my reservation because they couldn't confirm the hotel. Funny - how the supervisor could find us the same hotel suddenly.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gate 1 Travel-costa rica

What a bummer. I have used Gate 1 to travel to Barcelona and to Rome and had nothing but great experiences. In Rome our hotel was "unconfirmed" and we ended up in a much nicer place than we were supposed to have and had to pay nothing additional.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gate 1 Travel-costa rica

First time posters posting all negatives...

Did you not have any GOOD experience?

Always wise to use a local approved provider on

www.visitcostarica.com

always wise to check specific hotels and car

to be sure they meet your needs

I go all over Costa Rica in a 2WD

have no problems it is not a must at all.

Your assertion 4WD is a must is NOT correct.

Sounds like you did not

do your homework on trip specifics

prior to booking...

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gate 1 Travel-costa rica

Hotel Europa is a good budget hotel for price...

Most recent TA review...

The reception staff were very helpful and friendly, and the rooms were nice and spacious, and had all been recently redecorated. We did have a problem with our shower, in that a tap was loose and we couldn't use it, but they moved us to a new room.

The restaurant is good, we ate there both nights as we did not want to walk around San Jose after dark. But this was not to do with the area around the hotel, to be honest whatever hotel we had stayed in San Jose we would not have liked to walk around after dark, being 2 girls.

The hotel is very good value for money.

6. Re: Gate 1 Travel-costa rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 16:50