We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Puerto Barrios

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Puerto Barrios

Does anyone have any up-to-date information about the ferry service to PB? Information on this site is old, and I seem to get differing accounts of the service depending upon which website I view.

The majority of the sites seem to indicate that there is only one service a day, leaving PG at 9am. I know that numerous private boat operators will do the trip at other times, but I am travelling solo and I am therefore looking for the public option.

25 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Puerto Barrios

Check out this great transportation blog. iBuena suerte!

www.belizebus.wordpress.com

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,752 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Puerto Barrios

Requena's Water Taxi departs daily at 9 am. BZ$40

Pichilingo departs daily at 2 pm. BZ$50

Marisol departs daily at 4 pm. BZ$50

Punta Gorda, Belize
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Puerto Barrios

None of the water taxi/boat services are "public" - all are owned and run by private families. The above info on times is correct however.

In addition, there is a less reliable service run by Memo's, which does runs from PG to Livingston, then onwards to Puerto Barrios. He is only guaranteed to run Tuesdays and Fridays, 12.30pm, but if there is demand, he runs other days also.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
18 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Puerto Barrios

HI...Saw a pic of their "ferrys". They seem pretty small. Safe? Can you tell me how long the trip is from punta Gorda to Puerto Barrios. Thanks much!

Bruce Spates

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,752 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Puerto Barrios

1 to 1.5 hours

London
Level Contributor
276 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Puerto Barrios

I took the boat from Punta Gorda to Puerta Barrios. It was an epic journey of an hour or so in very rough seas. Some of thepassengers wanted to abandon the journey at Livingstone so be warned, the boatman told us it would be a choppy ride and this was an understatement. The boatman was an excellent seaman. To me, it was thrilling but for others it might be terrifying, holding on for your life. We were soaked to the skin! Our baggage was covered over and arrived dry and in tact. We were given plastic sheeting to hide under but no amount of covering could shelter us from the high seas.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Puerto Barrios

Check out www.facebook.com/btia.toledo they have updated schedules for different transportations posted.

Puerto Barrios...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Puerto Barrios

TRANSPORTES EL CHATO Phone (502) 79485525 Cel (502) 54124007

e-mail: pichilingo2000@yahoo.com

DAILY SERVICE:

LEAVING: Puerto Barrios 10:00 a.m.

LEAVING: Punta Gorda 02:00 p.m.

Will be a pleasure to serve you

office Map.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit…

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry to Puerto Barrios

In one of my guide books it says to contact BTIA (Belizian Tourism something or another) for the most recent information regarding the boats to Puerto Barrios. So, I did, and this is the e-mail I got today. (Don't yet see this one listed; so I figured I'd share.)

I just got this e-mail today:

From: Placida Leonor Requena [mailto:watertaxipg@gmail.com]

Sent: Thursday, November 28, 2013 3:29 PM

To: Belize Tourism Industry Association

Subject: Re: FW: Ferry question

We leave daily from Punta Gorda at 9:30am. The rate is $25.00US per person one way. You have to get tickets at least half an hour ahead of departure time but you can make reservations beforehand to have your space. Have a great day. Leonor

Naples, Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry to Puerto Barrios

hey there, expert!! haa..got any new info on puerto barrios ferry to punta gorda? times, days, price? yu gotta stamp out of guatemala with pasport first? where is that done? aand in punta gorda stamp in? thanks...jeeeebers, gettin info on this is hard! haa..

Reply to: Ferry to Puerto Barrios
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted